Taxes in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Taxes in Costa Rica

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Alberto Barreix – Another hypocritical civil “servant” who promotes significant tax increases in Costa Rica while his salary is exempt from taxes.

“Alberto Barreix, tax expert from the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), boasts that he has supported more than 50 tax rises in various countries.

Barreix has recommended that Costa Rica’s revenue from tax should increase from its current level of around 22% to 30% of GDP.”

English summary [ http://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/International_Bureaucrat_Promotes_Greater_Taxation?u=e2ccc782b2ae2c19d7f96c634c4009bb&s=n&e=3&mid=1977 ]

Spanish article: [ http://www.elfinancierocr.com/blog/porlalibre/ ]

Any suggestions as to what we should be doing with these civil “servants” who never “serve” the people but only serve their masters?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]

Any suggestions as to what we should be doing with these civil “servants” who never “serve” the people but only serve their masters?[/quote]

Give ’em a raise?

bienbien

Overpayment of taxes is not a big problem in Costa Rica. My neigbor sold a 1,000 m2 parcel for $100,000 (part of an IDA parcel which she got for free) and I asked her how much of that she had to pay in taxes to the government and she looked at me like I was crazy. She said she pays lots of taxes: sales taxes, property taxes, marchamo etc. I told her that if I sold it I would pay $15,000 to the US government, and if Ticos paid 15% of their gains that would go a long way to help pay for roads, police, clinics, water and everything else that everyone complains about. She doesn’t want to give any more money to those chorizeros in the government. (Sounds familiar)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.