Tamarindo Safety Situation

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Tamarindo Safety Situation

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    bbianchi

I heard that Tamarindo seem to be a nice place, but apparently with the booming going on, the safety is questionable

Has anyone heard, lived, anything about that situation (safety)?

Scott: I read on the forum that you personally don’t like this place, but I don’t know why. Can you elaborate ?

Thanks

Bruno
    CND

grb1063

We have visited there 3 times over the last 3 years and the change has been quite dramatic; to the point we would not return. Tamarindo will become what Cabo San Lucas has become eventualy…hotels and condos for foreigners only and all the drugs and crime that go with high density development. Playa Grande to the north is much more pleasant.

*Lotus

It’s really super touristy, party central etc…

mbrydenthal

TRUE OR NOT?????

I heard that a group of individuals (Nicos) held patrons of a hotel “hostage” in the pool while they went thru ALL the hotel rooms stealing the guests belongings??

Has anyone else heard of this happening in Tamarindo??

Andrew
    Keymaster

I don’t recall mentioning anything specific but whenever you have a community that goes through significant growth, that ‘sense of community’ tends to dissipate dramatically.

So in years gone by when all the neighbors knew each other and watched out for each other, that has changed and some neighbors have never even met the people that live next door – who may only visit for six weeks in the year – so why should they care of someone breaks in?

When I first moved to New York City, I introduced myself to the next door neighbors who obviously thought I was really strange in doing so but I was being friendly and thinking that if they see something strange or somebody strange lurking about, just maybe they’ll help.

Like other fast growing areas, there have been some infrastructure problems as development outpaces the municipality’s ability to keep up but although I have not visited for over a year, I hear they have made some improvements.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

mediatica

Hi Bruno. How are you? I figure since you are posting this question (and I’m seeing you in a couple of weeks), I should reply honestly, and I am always am.

First of all: If there was a hostage situation in Tamarindo, I never heard a thing. And I work everyday on Main Street in Tamarindo. So you would think I would know, unless I missed something this major! It was never written about in our local papers (Beach Times, Journal, Howler, Tamarindo News, etc). If someone else has heard different, that actually lives in the area, please chime in!

As for safety: Do I feel unsafe at my office? NO. Do I feel unsafe walking the streets in Tamarindo? NO. However, I also do not hang out ‘late night’ in Tamarindo when I feel that element of drugs and prostitution is seen. Have I ever been offered drugs in Tamarindo? NO, but my co-worker has. I did get my wallet stolen while at a crowded restaurant, but I partially blame myself because I wasn’t watching my purse. Petty theft an issue: Definately, just like most other touristy spots such as Jaco, Manuel Antonio, etc. That seems to be a problem in most of Costa Rica. I would never say that Tamarindo doesn’t have issues, but I just find it funny when people who don’t live in this beach area (or who havn’t visited many times) try to commment on the crime, infrastructure, etc. I think those who live here can paint an accurate picture of the state of Tamarindo, and not those who have visited once two years ago. Things do change…

Infrastructure: Needs improvement in Tamarindo BIG TIME. There is a 2nd route leading out of Tamarindo that is being earmarked as we speak. There is also a group that is going to be paving the road from Tamarindo to Langost in the coming year. So, while very SLOW, things are improving. Pro Mejores de Tamarindo is working with business, goverment, and individuals to get this area going in the right direction.

I enjoy Tamarindo for restaurants, shops, the beach, etc, but I chose to live in an out of the way spot (still within 20 minutes of Tamarindo). I personally moved to Costa Rica for the quiet, so Tamarindo is where I work, but not where I live.

gg

Hola,
    We just got back to US after 10 days in CR. 4 of those were spent in Tamarindo. Needs help with infrastructure. We did have a few personal items (shirt/sandals) removed from our villa, but nothing of value. It is a gorgeous area, but very crowded, very hot and even our management company warned us about crime. We had one offer to buy “reefer”, but when refused, they simply went away.
    Never felt threatened, but we never put ourselves in a situation for that to occur. We were usually home by 9pm each night.
    Just pay attention and enjoy.
    Gee Gee

harvcarp

No!

Where did YOU ‘hear’ about this situation?

Harvey

alachner

Tamarindo has definitely changed for the worse. I first visited this town in 1988 and it was a beautiful small village with excellent waves and a gorgeous beach. Now it’s over populated, too much construction and there are lots of problems which includes: drugs, prostitution, crime and serious infrastructure problems. When I mention serious infrastructure problems I mean specifically roads and sewage. The sewage problem is really bad as the “aguas negras” are being thrown into the ocean and many surfers have been suffering skin rashes, eye irritation and stomach diseases. I’m sure that in the long run the problems will be solved by regulation and investment, but for the meantime I would look elsewhere for travel and/or investment. There are much nicer places in Costa Rica worth the visit.

bbianchi

Thank you for everyone reply on this topic,

Alachner, you stated that ‘ There are much nicer places in Costa Rica for investment ‘ Could you share your suggestions on this in regard to condos at walking distance from the ocean and under 200K $.

Thanks

Bruno
    CND

Alvaro

Bruno, my suggestion would depend greatly on the reason you are considering about buying a condo in Costa Rica (retirement home, vacation home or as an investment for capital growth) as well as your preferences with regards to the area, the climate, the beach, available services, the surf and the distance to the nearest international airport. For condos under $200K I would recommend Tambor and Dominical. In Tambor there is a new project called Ocean Whisper by Riverside Developers that is currently selling beachfront condos starting at $175K. In Dominical there is a project called Marisol that is selling ocean view condos starting at $200K. Other areas worth considering are Nosara and Manuel Antonio, this last one being one of the most famous and popular tourism destinations in Costa Rica. No matter where you choose to purchase your condo, make sure you ask for references about the developers as there are many of them that are inexperienced. I recommend you ask Scott for references as he is very experienced.

mediatica

Although Tamarindo may not be your thing Alvaro, realize that there are many beautiful beaches within 30 minutes of Tamarindo which I think are great. While I think the Tambor area is great, it is still isolated and hard to get to, so while GREAT for a 2nd home, I wouldn’t rely on getting rental income 50-75% of time and Bruno is banking on that. Facts just show that when it is harder to get to a property (ie: drive is long or roads are really rough) your rental rates drop significantly. I also like Playa Avellanas (south of Tamarindo) and Playa Grande, Playa Real, Playa Conchal, Potrero, Surfside, are all great alternatives to Tamarindo. There are still condos available for around $200,000 in these areas.

Alvaro

Mediatica, Bruno didn’t mention in his posting that he was looking to get rental income so that is why I said that my suggestion would largely depend on the reason he is considering buying a condo in Costa Rica. If he was buying a condo as a vacation home or retirement home then I would recommend Tambor and Dominical over Tamarindo as they are very beautiful less developed areas where you might experience Costa Rica at its finest, not to mention purchasing a beachfront or ocean view condo for under $200K which is unheard of in Tamarindo. If he is looking solely for rental income then I would suggest Tamarindo, Playa Hermosa, Playas del Coco and Jaco, but all these places are highly developed and have similar issues.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a big Tamarindo fan as I am a surfer and I have visited this place many times during my lifespan, I have friends that are long time residents and I visit it constantly as I live in Playa Hermosa. I just think that some people don’t like Tamarindo because they are “escaping” from the densely populated areas in the US, from crime, pollution, noise and wish to seek a much more relaxed lifestyle in a tropical setting. Tamarindo is terribly busy, there are traffic jams, sewage problems and the roads are in very bad condition not to mention the drugs, crime and prostitution issues. For example, I don’t think a lot of people would consider relocating from New York City to Tamarindo as they would encounter similar issues they are trying to “escape”. There are some that like Tamarindo because of its nightlife, restaurants, services, proximity to good surf and beaches as well as the international airport in Liberia. That is also why I told Bruno that it would depend on his personal taste and preferences.

There are condos under $200K in all of Tamarindo’s surrounding areas that you suggest, but none of them will offer ocean view or beachfront like those available in Tambor and Dominical do offer. The area on the Gulf of Nicoya and Domincal will develop greatly in the next 5-10 years so you would probably profit heavily from an early investment there as people did in Tamarindo in the past 5-10 years. I just try to advise people based on what they are looking for, their tastes, their preferences, their needs and expectations. Even though I like Tamarindo, I don’t recommend it frequently as I know that the majority of people come to Costa Rica with very different expectations.

drummerdaveb

I was in Tamarindo for a few days I guess 2 years ago?

Both at night:
    I was offered drugs.
    My wife and I decided to walk back to our hotel on the beach (from the circle). A couple guys started following. We noticed, so we stopped.. . . they stopped & pretended to look at the ocean. We started walking, they started walking. We stopped again, they stopped & pretended to look at the stars.. Obviously they were following until we got to a less . . . lighted & visible spot.
    We walked back up to the street (past them), and had no further issues.

You have to keep your eyes open, but I dont expect to be accosted on the street either, but watch dark alleys & beaches.

Im not sure I’ll go back there next time Im down. Probably not actually. Im sure there are plenty other nice beaches with less crime.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.