Swine Flu Pandemic

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Swine Flu Pandemic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    sprite

I have seen no posts about concern of the swine flu epidemic in Mexico arriving in Costa Rica. The WHO just declared a phase 4 pandemic preparedness alert for the US. Is Costa Rica a somewhat safer environment for such things?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I have received a number of emails today from people who have forwarded them to me from the equivalent of the Department of Health so they are certainly taking the risk seriously although I don’t believe we have had any cases so far…

If you read Spanish you can see more at:

[ http://www.influenza.ccss.sa.cr/ ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

grb1063

They have samples at CDC in Atlanta they are looking at already to determine if the TamiFlu vaccine needs to be modified, but we won’t hear about until way after the “machine” is set in motion. It is becoming he norm the more we cause an imbalance in earth’s ecosystems and continue to genetically modify our mass food crops (incudes livestock).

sueandchris

Well, here is a more immediate effect of all the hoopla. I am supposed to be flying to CR on Saturday with a friend to look at properties in Grecia, San Ramon and Atenas. (My husband has to sit this one out because of work.) So my friend calls this morning and says “We can get refunds on our flights – you probably don’t want to go because of this swine flu thing – RIGHT????” So I explained patiently to her that I’m not particularly worked up and will still be going. I did say that I would pick up some infection masks for us to wear on the plane – probably a good idea on any flight because of all the wretched, re-circulated air.

I went to FIVE pharmacies before I could find any masks – they are all completely sold out! Jeez……..we’re probably safer in Costa Rica than here in Arizona. (We currently have no reported cases.)

And really, has anyone worked out the actual risk per capita in Mexico City? For heaven’s sakes, there are 20 million people living there. In our little town of 30,000 there are regular deaths than can be attributed to the flu every winter.

I get that a pandemic would be atrocious, but this has not elevated to pandemic level yet and may not do so for another one or two months. Am I the only person driven crazy by the news cycle hype?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I use these face masks in cleaning certain things with strong cleaning agents and buy these face masks in the hardware store, so you might find them there…

With all the “news” over the last few years about avian flu, are we really surprised that this has happened? Aren’t we all being “prepared” for another September eleventh type “surprise” – this time a biological one – that will leave expensive real estate untouched – but cause significant collateral (AKA human) damage?

Your thoughts?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sprite

I am not sure I follow your line of thinking, Scott. Are you suggesting the pandemic level 4 call is merely an exercise in preparedness for a potential bio-terrorist attack? So much collateral economic damage is probable with any pandemic scare, that I see no value for anyone in that, neither for the government nor for the population.

The regular flu supposedly kills between 1 and 2% of the infected. Swine flu should be about the same. The reason for concern is that so many more will be infected that there will be a higher death rate. I think I will accept the level 4 call as legitimate. So far, too much is unknown. We should know enough before the week end to determine if we have a true pandemic.

Edited on Apr 28, 2009 08:06

Andrew
    Keymaster

Many people, myself included, are more convinced than ever that what happened on September eleventh was a total set up – another Pearl Harbor. It would seem to me that while people like you and I were horrified, others did indeed see “value” in what happened and have used it as an excuse to further what is clearly an insane foreign policy agenda.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sprite

My left wing view of the world is open to such ideas. Although Pearl Harbor was indeed a set up and it is entirely possible that our government permitted 911 to happen, without any solid proof, I have to relegate the conspiracy theory to a status no higher than “suspicious. That does not, however, take away from my firm belief that the US government is being used as a tool by a corporate autocracy to further their ends.

The illnesses in Mexico and the States could hardly be faked to just cause a scare unless a lot of medical examiners were included in a conspiracy. If that is your contention, then the conspirators have agreed to a substantial loss of property in order to effect their plan. What would the pay off be?

And if you suggest that a type A influenza virus would be purposely introduced to kill a lot of people while preserving property, then we are dealing with state terrorism so completely evil and dedicated that there are no measures to stop it. If you truly believe these things, I canlt see how you could sleep at night.

Imxploring
    Participant

Let’s get back to reality… Uncle Sam and State governments kill more people on a monthly basis than will ever die at the hands of terrorist! Being in bed with the tobacco companies and drawing all that tax revenue from it’s sale makes government a partner in a much larger crime! Who needs the flu… just head down to the corner and buy a pack of smokes… support government… pay your taxes… and die prior to getting anything back from the system!

sprite

People CHOOSE to smoke. They don’t choose the flu.

Andrew
    Keymaster

If you think that’s scary take a look at:

Live Avian Flu Virus Placed in Baxter Vaccine Materials Sent to 18 Countries Is Big Pharma trying to heal us or kill us? Toronto Sun reports:

[ http://worldgenocidewatch.blogspot.com/2009/03/live-avian-flu-virus-placed-in-baxter.html ]

And there’s some interesting reading at:

[ http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/?p=2581#pandemic ]

Here’s a short video with Ron Paul ‘Putting Swine Flu Into Perspective’ [ http://informationclearinghouse.info/article22507.htm ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sprite

The greed of big pharma is a product of capitalism. Releasing a virus on the public in order to “capitalise” on the situation to sell their vaccine would be in line with any corporate charter which is exclusively to make money. The people who would make such a decision might be as morally bankrupt as those banking and Wall Street CEO’s and their republican toadies who pillaged our treasury recently. It is possible.

I prefer not to think too much about this matter. There is nothing one can do to stop it and little one can do to avoid becoming a victim except maybe to run to hills. That log cabin of yours way up in the mountains would be a great place for you to wait out a truly horrific pandemic if it had a good sized vegetable garden.

Imxploring
    Participant

People may not CHOOSE to get the flu and die…. very true… but then again… the government doesn’t prosper from their deaths… it’s a little different with smoking… those that make the choice to smoke… and die… do make money for the government!

Edited on Apr 28, 2009 18:19

edlreed

A trained intelligence analyst OBJECTIVELY weighs two things first. Cause and affect. If you cannot be objective, you cannot analyze. Hardest to be objective about is – who gains.

sprite

The hard part is tying action to results. You can put forth a theory, as does Scott here, that the intention of the ruling autocracy is to use terrorism as a means to gain further wealth. That is not objective nor does it have to be. The objectivity comes into play when analyzing cause and effect.

The cause of cigarette tax is government. The effect of actually paying the revenuue of a cigarette tax is the choice of smokers. The intention of both parties is addressed and satisfied by mutual consent. I donlt see any mystery here. However, Scott’s theory is bothersome and requires some hard proof before acceptance.

Edited on Apr 29, 2009 07:11

Edited on Apr 29, 2009 07:12

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.