Swimming pool – What are the best options?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Swimming pool – What are the best options?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    VictoriaLST

[quote=”costaricabill”][quote=”jreeves”]We have two different pools in my neighborhood (at the beach in the Central Pacific). One is concrete but built above ground, the other is concrete but built below ground. The above ground one overflows during rainy season but is much more easily maintained than the inground one. The inground one is often chocolate colored during rainy season because of the mud that is able to flow into it when it is raining hard. Jessica[/quote]

Obviously very bad placement, very bad design and very bad implementation! Except for a few blowing leaves and occasional toad poop, our in ground, salt water pool stays pristine year-round (and I am on prowl for the toads, even tonight)![/quote]

Bill, who put your pool in? How big? What cost?

jdennisg

There is only only way to do things, especially in Costa Rica. Have the pool built of concrete by a REPUTABLE company that builds pools. CHECK REFERENCES from people who have had pools built by that company that have lasted at least 4-5 years. Otherwise you are taking a big chance. Fiberglass pools, in my opinion, are not well understood here by the installers, and every one I’ve seen has problems as soon as several months after installation. And even in the best of circumstances, they will only last for a much shorter time than a correctly built pool with tile. It is also critical to manage the water ph and other things closely, and to work with a pool expert until you completely understand the issues. Here much of the water tends to leach the calcium out of the grout, resulting in leaks later on. The fix is expensive; remove all the grout and re-install it.
    Pools are expensive to build and maintain, and if you start with a bad job, that number to maintain later on will overcome the savings by having a pool built by the “tipico” Tico contractor, who really knows nothing about swimming pool construction. Pools are an environmental nightmare, use a LOT of expensive electricity, and chlorine or salt is expensive. by the way, salt water pools do not have salt water in them; they just consume salt to manufacture chlorine. And chlorine is horrible for your health! My advice is to find a good natural swimming hole. Or build a wood-fired hot tub.

VictoriaLST

Hot tub? In this weather??

jdennisg

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]Hot tub? In this weather??[/quote]
    You bet! It feels cool when you get out, and all the aches and pains are gone!

samm5155

[list]

[/list]I had an above ground pool (from pricesmart.com) installed on a concrete slab with a carport like roof of clear corragated plastic and solar heating and a solar cover, warm 90% in the dry season and 70% of the wet. It is small(9x18x4 feet, 5000 gallons) . I have had some problems with the plumbing. Very little chemical use since it is not exposed to the sun and rain. Cost, about $10K.

sstarkey

I agree – only use a TRUSTED pool builder and don’t ‘cheap out’ on it, as then you’re just asking for problems.

My builder did a wonderful job with my pool infrastructure – (concrete / rebar), and building it probably took as long as framing my house! Then a local pool expert with a great reputation finished the pool and provided the pumps, lights, finish, etc. So far, so good.

I decided to use a finish called “Crystalcrete”. It is smooth and long lasting and you can design your own colors to get the water color that you want. The cost is reasonable. You can also get PebbleTec here as well as DiamondBrite and Magicolors for your finish if you don’t want to use tile. Tile is fine too. You do NOT want any of these finishes installed by inexperienced crews! The worst, but cheapest option is going with plain plaster & paint – as you’ll have to refinish often. I can’t speak for Fiberglass but do have a very ‘thrifty’ neighbor who has one that’s relatively new. Jury is out on it’s hardiness.

I considered installing a Solar-powered water pump system, but the cost / electricity savings didn’t add up. Eventually I’ll probably do it however. I already have Solar hot water and LED lighting in the house, amongst other energy saving features, so the standard pool pump is my little wasteful extravagance.

kennethp

[quote=”kennethp”][quote=”jdennisg”]There is only only way to do things, especially in Costa Rica. Have the pool built of concrete by a REPUTABLE company that builds pools. CHECK REFERENCES from people who have had pools built by that company that have lasted at least 4-5 years. Otherwise you are taking a big chance. Fiberglass pools, in my opinion, are not well understood here by the installers, and every one I’ve seen has problems as soon as several months after installation. And even in the best of circumstances, they will only last for a much shorter time than a correctly built pool with tile. It is also critical to manage the water ph and other things closely, and to work with a pool expert until you completely understand the issues. Here much of the water tends to leach the calcium out of the grout, resulting in leaks later on. The fix is expensive; remove all the grout and re-install it.
    Pools are expensive to build and maintain, and if you start with a bad job, that number to maintain later on will overcome the savings by having a pool built by the “tipico” Tico contractor, who really knows nothing about swimming pool construction. Pools are an environmental nightmare, use a LOT of expensive electricity, and chlorine or salt is expensive. by the way, salt water pools do not have salt water in them; they just consume salt to manufacture chlorine. And chlorine is horrible for your health! My advice is to find a good natural swimming hole. Or build a wood-fired hot tub.[/quote][/quote]

Nice information. wooded-hot tub is fine but I’d like to hear
    about a JACUZZI, with very strong jets, built for 4 people, with jets located on the “chakra” centers.
    Anyone in this section have any experiences with jacuzzis??

costaricafinca
    Participant

Whether built with cement and block or fiberglass, I think it is important for the pool not to be at ground level. Consider placing it on a ‘mound’, to stop the run-off during the rainy season.

jmcbuilder
    Participant

Are there any companies that use Gunite or shotcrete for building pools in Costa Rica?

wspeed1195

I built pools in the states for years, I would say I did excellent work.
    I just drafted A composition of the do’s don’ts and since the website has such A rapid time out the article went blink.
    I apologize for being A peck peck when posting, being A construction worker and not A clerical worker causes me to take longer.
    From here I will just say good luck with your pool.
    Each problem presented was addressed in my post, oh well.

jmcbuilder
    Participant

[quote=”wspeed1195″]I built pools in the states for years, I would say I did excellent work.
    I just drafted A composition of the do’s don’ts and since the website has such A rapid time out the article went blink.
    I apologize for being A peck peck when posting, being A construction worker and not A clerical worker causes me to take longer.
    From here I will just say good luck with your pool.
    Each problem presented was addressed in my post, oh well.[/quote]

Wspeed, what construction method would you use in Costa Rica? I would sure love to pick your brain to avoid pitfalls.

VictoriaLST

Yeah but does Ws build here in CR?

wspeed1195

I would build with gunnite.
    When the hole is dug use A real backhoe operator. Someone that won’t get to close to the hole and unceremoniously knock the walls into the hole. Dig the hole with +16. Plus 16 in. To the dimensions. For 8 in. walls. The rebar tied throughout the pool on A 12in. pattern. Down here I seldom see main drains. I would use A main drain, run the chlorine grade tiger flex hose. Their is A wall thickness difference. I would get A pool skimmer also. They’ve become more popular, I have seen pools back in ’92 that didn’t have them. The bottom depth should flow. The most popular pools in the states are the 14’x28′- 4′- 5-6′ deep rectangle and the kidney shape. 28’long, one end with A 10′ radius, the big end 16′ radius.
    Use A concrete pump, call A concrete company in the states, get the gunnite “pool recipe” very important. Try not to use A retardant. Hopefully the concrete plant isn’t more than 45 minutes away. When you use the pump it helps to control the quick cure, getting hard in the truck, pump or line. Concrete dries in A hose you got problems. When the walls are done make sure they cut clean lines don’t go to high or to fast as they go around you only want to build about 12 in. Each go around. When the pool is done, the beam should be flat, not slicked off. When the pool is done sprinkle it earlY in the morning and the evening for A week it will stall the curing and alleviate future cracking.
    When the waals are cured use the rebar with A 12 inch pattern. We would leave every other leg protruding from the top beam. These I would, before the concrete dries, cut A 1-2 inch trough to allow the leg to be pounded down. The leg should be about 2-3 ft. long. Use the legs to tie the pool to the deck. When you finish the inside I would use one of the ” brite” finishes.
    This is where the people make the biggest mistake with A coated pool. Chlorina a d chemical imbalance. The only thing that suffers worse than A human from imbalance is pools. Ok, this is fodder. From here I can answer other questions.

wspeed1195

Lol, it timed me out again. So I cut and pasted it.

wspeed1195

Oh, the bottom should have the same rebar pattern, in the states we pour 8″ bottoms raking it up the walls about A foot for the tie in. Here I would use A 10″ bottom.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.