Surf Fishing the Pacific Coast

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Surf Fishing the Pacific Coast

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wmaes47

I am new to the sport of “SURF FISHING”.

I want to find information from those people who have experience on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica.

1) Best beaches
    2) Fish being caught
    3) Equipment to use
    4) Bait to use

Since this sport is totally new to me, tell me anything that you can about surf fishing in Costa Rica. I will be io Pacific coast 6th – 15th July ’06 and I am going for a few great fishing days.

Bill Maes

*Lotus

Surf fishing is not very common and I have had no luck at it. There is an excellent column in The http://www.ticotimes.net on fishing in general and I believe you can e mail or phone him with questions. There is a small town just before you get into Nosara where I have read about a surf fishing contest and the ocean is fairly calm as there is a protected cove. Another idea may be sport fishing from a boat, it can be quite expensive, however we usually find a local guy with a boat and for about $100-$200 dollars you can go out for 4 hours and catch sailfish, wahoo, rooster fish and barracuda. River fishing for tarpoon is very popular and there is also good fishing in lake Arenal. I also had a really hard time finding a bait & tackle shop actually, I couldn’t find one so you may want to inquire before coming down or better bring your own gear. Good luck!

Edited on Jun 19, 2006 04:44

DavidCMurray
    Participant

As a veteran of surf fishing on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and a couple of years working in a tackle shop there, I can tell you that there are many blind alleys to be avoided in getting started fishing in the surf. At the very least, I would look for an experienced guide from whom to learn at least some of the basics before investing in any tackle whatsoever.

The first thing to be determined is whether surf fishing from Costa Rican beaches is even productive. Are there any fish to catch? If yes, what’s out there and when. There is no use investing in heavy surf tackle, as many newcomers do, only to find that the largest or most abundant fish weigh just a pound or two.

It will also matter whether you’re typically fishing with live or cut bait or artificials. Again, there’s no point in investing in the wrong equipment, getting frustrated, and then buying what you should have bought to begin with or giving up in disgust. In the absence of a surf fishing school (do a Google search), look for a guide who can get you started (another Google search).

Good luck!

frizby

We brought tackle expecting to surf fish at Nosara, especially at the river mouth where you can cross at low tide. No luck, and didn’t see bu one other guy striking out too.

The small town about 5-10 north of Nosara is Garza. Garza is a small, undeveloped, fishing cove. We took out a 21′ work-style boat with a fellow named “Nino” for a very reasonable price for 1/2 day. That was plenty! Roosterfish, Dorado, Yellowfin, bonita, all close to shore. I wouldn’t waste almost a thousand to go out running for an hour or so to troll blue water-did that out of Quepos, one fish all day!

Check out the Gilded Iguana website-they can connect you with Nino, his brother works there, and the Captain “Chiqui” they advertise taught him. The captain does not go out anymmore-back problems, and now he sells real estate.

Have a wonderful trip!

*Lotus

Garza thats the place, we did the same just north of Jaco and the fish were a plenty!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.