Superbloque

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Superbloque

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    orcas0606
    Participant

I am researching a small construction project and have been looking at Superbloque. I have seen what Scott shows on this site but I need more info and maybe someone here has some personal experienc with this system/company.

From what I can see it appears that the materials and system provide sufficent strength and quality. My most important concern is the quality of the finished product….window frames, doors, counter tops, ceramics, final cement finish etc.

I am not planning anything super luxury but do want a decent final product. Any info would very welcome. Maybe someone out there knows where I could see a finished product. Thanx

I have been building housing for over 30 years, with the last 20 years in Costa Rica and I’ve utilized both CBS and EIFS construction methods.

I feel that the traditional concrete block with steel reinforced monolithic concrete columns and tie beams, commonly referred to as CBS construction (Concrete Block Structure), makes a lot of sense in Latin America because the majority of the Latino tradesmen fully understand this method.

The Superbloque’s http://www.superbloque.com are larger than the standard concrete blocks and more difficult to handle. The local tradesmen don’t like the Superbloque’s because they are heavier and difficult to lift up and over the steel re-rods that we install inside the concrete block walls.

I’ve found that when building projects in foreign countries, it’s best to try and adapt to the local customs, rather than trying to re-invent the wheel. If you have a construction site that is challenging and traditional concrete blocks are not practical and light weight construction methods must be utilized, then the best alternatives are steel-stud tubing like METALCO.

Exterior DUROCK laminates, when a BASECOAT stucco finish is desired. NOTE: If you do not use the exterior plaster compound recommended by the manufacturer of Durock, (USG), you will eventually have to deal with exterior cracking and water infiltration into the wall cavity of the dwelling.

If the architectural design is compatible, PLYCEM exterior siding is a reliable material that is durable and doesn’t require the materials or labor to apply the (repello) stucco finish. Exterior vapor barriers like TYVEK and PRODEX. Interior wall and ceiling insulation like FIBERGLASS COLUMBIA or OWENS CORNING. Interior SHEETROCK or PLYCEM wall and ceiling laminates.

sstarkey

I built last year with a lightweight steel-frame structure system. The framing system is manufactured in Canada and your materials are built to spec, then when your container arrives, framing proceeds very quickly. I have various exterior finishes including Plycem, stucco and stone. The house is fully insulated and very cool and comfortable. The results are outstanding. The company who built my house offers flexible options for clients – including constructing the walls at their factory, then delivering them to the job site to be assembled. It’s a fast, clean and green system. While they do build turn-key houses, (down to installing the appliances & building all cabinetry), they can also deliver just a framing package that includes sending a trained team (foreman & laborers) to the job site (anywhere in C.R.) for the framing stage. I am SO glad I went with this system vs. CBS. Feel free to send me a private message if you’d like to know more.

johnnyh

What do you guys think of Covintec, and how well suited is it for homes in the Caribe Sur area which is more humid and hot? Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.