SuperBloque Construction

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum SuperBloque Construction

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    editer

Scott,

I read your article about the Superbloque building system and I think it may fit my needs. I have a few questions I hope you can answer. First, what is the difference between SuperBloque and the other concrete blocks that I’ve seen in buildings being constructed in San Isidro? Are they larger? Are they more durable? Is there something in the way they are made that makes them superior?

Also, you say that the company has dozens of plans for modular homes. I assume that the bloques could be used for a floor plan of my own design. Is this correct?

Finally, does the $32k figure that you mention include “acabados” such as counters, cabinets, sinks, etc.? That would indeed be economical and it would allow me to spend more money in other pursuits such as buying a vehicle and shipping some of my possessions down from Chicago.

Thanks for any help, Scott. I can’t begin to tell you how much your site has taught me over the past years.

editer

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks for your kind comments ‘editer’

As you will know from the big difference in exchange rates, that article [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/764.cfm ] was a few years ago and I’m sure a LOT has changed since that time.

You would be best contacting the company directly and clarifying the price changes as well as the other questions you have…

If this type of construction is of interest to you, you might also want to take a look at CONCREPAL [ http://www.concrepal.com/casas.htm ]. I bumped into their manager at the recent construction show and I know they are doing big business here…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

editer

Thanks Scott,

I figured that the article was probably not very recent. That probably should have been another question. I’ll ask my contractor to find out some later figures and to look into CONCREPAL. I want to start building in late November so we have time to explore options. With the rate that things are changing in Costa Rica, maybe you should consider adding dates to future articles on the website. It’s probably too much work to date the articles already archived.

Now I’ll go check out CONCREPAL.

editer

The SuperBloque product is basically an over sized concrete block that the local tradesmen do not like because of its weight and bulk. When a mason is installing these blocks the labor is complicated by the fact that each block must be lifted on top of the previously installed blocks and it is more difficult than regular sized block. Therefore the fit and distribution of concrete mortar is sacrificed for less quantity of blocks. The width and strength of the vertical steel reinforcement rods (columns) which support the block wall system and horizontal concrete support system (headers) that will support the roof structure are much thinner and smaller. As was previously mentioned these thin steel reinforcement rods and the 4″ x 4″ poured concrete columns that will support the entire structure are marginal and in the event of seismic movement would give out much sooner that a larger vertical steel reinforced column construction system like I install in my traditional concrete block construction method. Traditional vertical concrete support columns are at least 12″ x 8″ and reinforced with six 1/2″ thick steel rods and then the horizontal support headers are at least 12″ x 8″ with a six 1/2″ steel rods. There is additional labor involved in order to assemble the steel reinforcement and install the quantity of blocks used in the traditional construction method but the tradesmen are familiar and accustomed to this method and therefore take pride in the quality of their installation so the consumer receives a higher quality finished product. For the approximate 10% additional cost involved I sleep much better at night knowing my building structures are anti seismic and do not develop fissure cracks prematurely which require much more maintenance for the owners. As was discussed in a previous posting, painting and preparation of poorly installed concrete surfaces is not only expensive but also unsightly until repaired. Since we are approximately 10 degrees north of the equator a prudent and responsible builder needs to factor in the effects of the suns rays as well as the seismic movements here in Costa Rica.

editer

Muchismas gracias, CRHB. As usual, your information is absolutely what I was looking for. God, I love this site!

editer

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.