Super Bug – Antibiotic resistant bacteria in chickens

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Super Bug – Antibiotic resistant bacteria in chickens

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    orcas06

I am not the Chicken Little, Sky is Falling type but I just read a scary report/study about chickens and the use of antibiotics in their production and the increase of drug resistant e coli bacteria that cause urinary infections. This concerns me.

I eat a lot of chicken as do many others in Costa Rica. Of course there is disagreement between the poultry industry and the researchers as to whether or not there is any reason to be concerned.

Here is a link to a related article…..

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/07/resistance-chicken-utis/

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of the use of antibiotics in Costa Rica in chicken production?

I am under the impression that it is quite common. I guess I will start looking for organic chickens or have to raise my own.

maravilla

i wouldn’t think of eating anything BUT an organic chicken in this country. one pipasa vendor told me they don’t use antibiotics. oh, yeah, and i am princess di! i see those polleras and how there are thousands of chickens in those places. i found a small vendor in san ramon who sell antibiotic free and hormone free chickens and their eggs. why screw around with your health for a few hundred colones more to get something that wasn’t poisoned.

Andrew
    Keymaster

We should remember that Pipasa was acquired by Cargill last year so whatever disgusting hormone/antibiotic soup is injected into the bodies of chickens in the U.S., is probably also now being pumped into the Tico pollitos.

Scott

Chicken food “concentrado para engorde” (the stuff you buy at the vet store) has growth hormons and antibiotica. The first is necessary to guarantee a maximum weight gain in a minimum time, the second has to make sure that the poor animals don’t get sick. In the chicken fattening industry it is (off course) all about profit and each sick or dead animal can infect the whole litter. I don’t know how they do it at Pipasa or similar companies in C.R. , but I have literature where it says that they normally keep and fatten 25 chicken per square meter (2,5 chicken on one square foot), in closed barns, no fresh air, so sunlight….. The barn is never cleaned during the (4 to 6 I think ) weeks of fattening period. The animals are kept with the light on almost full time to make sure they sleep less and eat more.

In order to grow organic chicken, or produce organic eggs, one has to make sure to feed them organic food, and keep them outside during the day. They will not get as fat as fast, but they will be happy and healthy chicken during their short live.

Alfred

Organic production is regulated in the USA. Of course, these may not be the most stringent of regs, but it will give you an idea what qualifies as organic according to the USDA.

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?navid=ORGANIC_CERTIFICATIO&parentnav=AGRICULTURE&navtype=RT

If you have the space and ability, raise your own chickens. We started last year here in the US and it is a wonderful way to get fresh eggs. As far as chickens for meat is concerned, it is much better to raise and slaughter your own. It does require an interest in attaining certain skills for self sufficient living if you are squeamish about those sorts of things.

In any case, if you raise your own food, you will be secure in knowing what is in the food you are eating.

Doug Ward

[quote=”elindermuller”]Chicken food “concentrado para engorde” (the stuff you buy at the vet store) has growth hormons and antibiotica. The first is necessary to guarantee a maximum weight gain in a minimum time, the second has to make sure that the poor animals don’t get sick. In the chicken fattening industry it is (off course) all about profit and each sick or dead animal can infect the whole litter. I don’t know how they do it at Pipasa or similar companies in C.R. , but I have literature where it says that they normally keep and fatten 25 chicken per square meter (2,5 chicken on one square foot), in closed barns, no fresh air, so sunlight….. The barn is never cleaned during the (4 to 6 I think ) weeks of fattening period. The animals are kept with the light on almost full time to make sure they sleep less and eat more.

In order to grow organic chicken, or produce organic eggs, one has to make sure to feed them organic food, and keep them outside during the day. They will not get as fat as fast, but they will be happy and healthy chicken during their short live.[/quote]
    Engorde is completely unnecessary. I kill mine at nearly 4 kilos, lean, large and mean.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.