Stray Dogs And Animal Shelters?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Stray Dogs And Animal Shelters?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ripple33

To make a very long story short I have a farm in Puriscal but live in the US. The worker we had living on the property left after threats from theives. When he left, he also left two dogs on the property. I have been trying to find a home for these dogs which is obviously very hard in a country where everyone has taken in several stray dogs of their own. I contacted the Refugio in Heredia and they charge 30000 colones per dog which is not bad considering they are a no kill shelter and provide a great service. The problem I have is that I really cant afford to spend 60000 colones for these dogs right now. I am barely able to make ends meet in the states right now, particularly with extra payments to purchase my property in Costa Rica. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations of other shelters in CR? Right now I am just having a friend drop food off for the dogs periodically. Any help is highly appreciated. This is a very difficult situation to deal with when I am not living in CR yet. These dogs are very nice and I would take them in if I was down there permanently.

diego

Pay the refugio. You will waste more time resolving this and you could use the saved time to make-up the $100.

juliab

What type of dogs those are? I’m looking for a big “guard” dog (or may be 2).

genincr

60000 col is 115 dollars, no more.

Edited on Jul 16, 2007 17:27

Ripple33

The dogs are not guard dogs by any means. They are smaller (about thirty pounds max). They were not my dogs. My peon had the dogs and left them on the property. I am not a rich gringo like many of you. 115 dollars is alot of money for me right now. Yes I have a finca in Costa Rica which I am still paying for and stretched to the limit to make this happen for me. I am not saying I am going to abandon these dogs and obviously I am concerned about doing the right thing or I would not even post here. I may end up paying the refugio to take them but want to explore all alternatives first. Also I dont know how soon I can get a new worker on the property that would be able to care for them. If it comes down to having to pay the refugio I will do that.

meganmcgees

Add me to those who think you just need to suck it up and pay the refugio. Just like shelters in the US, the few shelters that are here are maxed out on space and money. At least the Heredia one is no kill…you have already said they are nice dogs – they should have a shot at getting adopted if they are at the shelter. I don’t think you are going to come up with any other alternative, especially from up there.

I am not a rich gringo either, but sometimes you just have to do the right thing. Hopefully it will come back to you in good karma or a good dog for your finca when you do get here…but even if it doesn’t, you will know you have done something good.

Ripple33

Good news people, the thieves have been run out and my peon will return to the farm on Tuesday so the problem has been solved. I appreciate all of your input on this. One of the reasons I just did not cough up the money to take them to the Refugio is because I did not know how long it would take to get another peon to stay at the farm. Really glad I did not take them to the Refugio now because they will have a home again on the farm with the worker there.

editer

I’m glad your dog problem was resolved. A lot of people would have just let the animals run loose to fend for themselves. There are plenty of homeless animals in Costa Rica, but you took an interest in two of them that you didn’t even own. Ignore genincr you’ll make a welcome addition to Costa Rica.

editer

jrego

I am glad your dilemma has been resolved. In the event you find yourself in a similar position again, I came across this shelter in the Tico Times. http://www.animalsheltercostarica.com/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.