Staying Over the 90 Day Visa Day

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Staying Over the 90 Day Visa Day

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rebetzen

Does anyone know the law i.e., overstaying your 90 day visa? My husband’s visa expires the end of July, but is leaving the country permanently in August…will he stll need to leave for a few hours in July.

crltd

according to conversations i have had with O.I.J. a person staying on a tourist visa technically has as many as 30 day grace period.
    however, do not quote me if a transito stops you and your husband and decides that he is going to make your day more difficult.
    leave for sixxola or paso canoas and get exit stamp and then reenter in 4-6 hours for new entry stamp. peace of mind.
    crltd.

rebetzen

thanks, we are leaving the country permanently, so really didn’t want to have to go into nicaragua for a few hours.

costaricabill
    Participant

Both my wife and I have overstayed our 90 days a week or two a couple of times. We went to airport in SJO not knowing what to expect, and there was no issue with either the airline or immigracion officer(s). We know other people who have done the same thing (overstayed, then flew out) and no one has indicated any issues.
    The primary fear, as I understand it, is if you are over 90 days and get stopped by Transito Policia, then you have a problem.
    I might suggest that you make a copy of your passport picture page but not the “stamp page” and just carry that with you after you have exceeded the 90 days. If you get stopped by police, give them the copy of the passport picture page and play dumb as it relates to the need to also have the stamp page.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.