Starbucks Buys Its First Coffee Farm in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Starbucks Buys Its First Coffee Farm in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

yes, i drink coffee, and no, i won’t drink GMO coffee, and i doubt seriously that it will ever come into play. i know too many coffee farmers who wouldn’t even think of growing such a thing.

costaricafinca
    Participant

No, they rely on growing their own new plants from the ‘free seeds’ on their bushes.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”] i know too many coffee farmers who wouldn’t even think of growing such a thing [GMO coffee].[/quote]

How many of Costa Rica’s coffee farmers do you know, maravilla? And what percent of the total of all of Costa Rica’s coffee farmers have told you personally that they wouldn’t even think of growing GMO coffee? Numbers, please . . . always the numbers.

(You know what’s coming next.)

maravilla

i’m not playing your game. it wouldn’t matter if i knew 10 or 100 or 1000, you and that “other person” would say it had to be 500 or 5000 to be a valid point.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]i’m not playing your game. it wouldn’t matter if i knew 10 or 100 or 1000, you and that “other person” would say it had to be 500 or 5000 to be a valid point.[/quote]

You don’t know what my reaction to your hard facts might be, maravilla, so why not share them? If you know 1,000 Costa Rican coffee growers, how many of them have told you they wouldn’t even think of growing GMO coffee? If you know 100 (or even 10), how many of those have aired that determination?

Or are you making this up? Do you really know any at all?

maravilla

i live above some very large coffee plantations. i know all the finqueros in my hood and i have spoken to all of them about GMOs and gotten them to be part of the protests. there are at least 7 coffee growers right in my neighborhood, and i know at least 6 more in other parts of the country who are vehemently opposed to monsanto and anything they represent, esp trans-genicos.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

So you’ve actually talked to thirteen growers. Well, that’s not much of a sampling is it? In San Ramon, there’s a group of growers who have banded together to follow Fair Trade practices. There are 550 of them. And then there are the Naranjo growers. And the Grecia growers. And . . .

Sounds like you’ve overstated the case, eh?

VictoriaLST

Not to mention she talked them into sharing her delusion about GMOs…….

maravilla

so i WAS right about what your response would be. JAJAJAJAJA

DavidCMurray
    Participant

And I was right about your hyperbolizing. If you want to make a convincing case, you’re going to have to do much better.

stephanie ande
    Participant

It seem funny that Scott will kick out those who chanllenge him, but not the same people week after week that
    are rude, kirt and bicker and the know it alls…
    Why dont you just call each other on the phone and display your intellegencesssssssss to each other?
    This is getting very tiresome and comes down to about the 4-5 of you that know it all, seen it all, have done it all. How can that be when you are always on this forum. When do you every leave to go out side or travel????

Tired of reading it… Call each other on the phone, we are not interested.
    Boring 🙁

wasaga
    Participant

I agree with you stephanie ande,there seems to be a couple that that know everything about everything. One guy in particular and he makes it seem that your opinion just doesn’t count even thought he has never experienced it. I know I should mention his name but I think most people know to whom I am referring.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

There’s a risk here. If specious arguments go unchallenged, if indefensible assertions are presented in the guise of facts without being challenged, otherwise uninformed readers may accept them as reliable, as true, when in fact they may not be. That’s why there need to be challenges to assertions that seem particularly dubious, so that others are not misled.

And as for Scott expelling anyone who challenges him, that’s pure nonsense. I have taken exception to things Scott has written on many occasions and I will again, I’m sure, but never has my privilege to participate here been in any jeopardy.

Abusive behavior falls into a different category from disagreement and debate. It’s an important distinction. Failing to understand that distinction could, indeed, get you bounced. Does that come as a surprise?

VictoriaLST

Good point, Scott.

I am just in from 2 hours preparing a new garden for planting. Two hours out of many others…

Moving to CR has been a huge undertaking especially since we bought a home with a lot of land. I do love my gardens. When I have time to relax (usually while putting ice on something that hurts), I enjoy reading what is posted on this site or in the local English language papers – or the Tico papers, if my Spanish is sufficient. And I do enjoy posting, sometimes about a local feria, sometimes about taxes or what is happening in the US that might effect us here in CR, and sometimes about the unfounded or wild statements of another poster.

Debate is good. If you don’t want to read a debate, skip some postings. But please don’t give up on this excellent website. There is a lot here that can be helpful.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]And I was right about your hyperbolizing. If you want to make a convincing case, you’re going to have to do much better.
    [/quote]

Perhaps a quick look at the problems GM crops (and the legal issues) have created for Soybean farmers vs Monsanto in the US will give our Tico coffee growers a good idea what happens when the big companies start jumping into your business. Best to stay as far away as possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.