Smokin in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Smokin in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    wmaes47

Now that I have your attention.

I found and have used a great little smoker made by Char-Broil. It doesn’t appear on their website as I think it may be discontinued.

Last week I prepared pork butt with a great Texas rub and left them in the smoker for 18 hours, totally unattended. I am amazed at what “I” produced in a finished product. My mouth is still watering. This pork butt pulled right off and a fantastic tasting bark was nothing I have ever tasted. Wonderful Pork Butt doesn’t come from wher you think. It is the top portion above the picnic ham of the front.

The Char-Broil Electric Water Smoker retails in the States at Home Depot for $69 plus tax and would transport as check-in baggage. Great unit for the price.

Coffee wood in chunk form is great to use in this smoker, but any fruit bearing tree, wood chunks will smoke nicely.

Search the internet for more details on this unit.

Do you want the recipe and instructions for preparation of Pork Butt? Just leave your e-mail address here and I will respond from my GMail account.

Happy Smoking
    Bill Maes

Andrew
    Keymaster

Alrightey then… Count me in for one of those Bill and definitely count me in for the recipe and instructions for your “Pork Butt.”

Having said that, I think we need to give it a more Tico like name no? Maybe “Nalgitas Ricas?”

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

PS. For those of you thinking this is a commercial post, it’s not. It’s a “culinary post” from a long time VIP Member which of course is allowed 🙂

PPS. Weren’t going to have lunch?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Hi, Bill,

Please send me the recipe for the smoked pork butt, too. And you say you’re using coffee wood, eh? I assume this has to be pretty well seasoned, right?

Thanks,

Dave Murray
    daveandmarcia@racsa.co.cr

cp1436

Are there any good southern style barbecue restaraunts in CR?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I did know a good place in SJO but that closed years ago, there was also a place in Santa Ana which also closed.

Anybody else make a suggestion for a good BBQ place that’s in business today?

Do I smell an ‘opportunity’ here?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

cp1436

I am still a few (20+) years from retirement, but it was something that I had in mind. My wife and I have got some land between Ciudad Quesada and La Fortuna which I thought would be a pretty good location.

I think that to be successful it’d have to appeal also to the tico palette as well as the “extranjero’s”. I find that the taste of Barbecue, in particular the sweet tomato based sauce, is not appealing to Ticos. My wife, who is a tica, and her family do not like barbecue sauce. They claim that tico’s do not like sweet flavors mixed with salty flavors (now explain to me why they can eat tons of sweet platano with sour cream?).

wmaes47

Help Guys –

What is an “electric water smoker”?

Saudos,
    Ruth

Moved by a website moderator.

wmaes47

Hi Ruth

Sounds strange, doesn’t it. You could get electrocuted. NOT REALLY.

It it a metal unit with a heating coil in the bottom. Above the heating coil is a pan of water, which evaporates as the meat is smoked, thus allowing the meat to stay moist and not dry out during the smoking/cooking process. Hence the name “electric water smoker”.

Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

wmaes47

With smoked/cooked meats, I find that most of the time a barbecue sauce on the side will enhance the favor of the truly smoked meats, but is not needed. Southern style with plenty of time on a slow and low heat.

With many fine rubs available and those designed by the smoke master with careful preparation, these can produce a pork or beef that will make your tounge dance. There is no need for a BBQ sauce.

Smoked salmon is a great favorite of mine. I can prepare several different rubs, using different wood for smoked flavor that is fantastic. No sauce here.

A true BBQ with charcoal is totally different than the smoked/cooked meats I am talking about.

Many Ticos BBQ in Costa Rica without using a sauce on the finished product. They do enjoy a charcoal grill.

I would love to get a few of my Tico friends on a truly smoked/cooked piece of meat. I am pretty sure it would excite them.

David Murray will be firing up his smoker and giving it a try. Real soon I hope. He told me about coffee smoked bananas he had found in Costa Rica…mmmmm… Scott would appreciate an invitation for the smoked pork butt.

Happy Smokin´
    Bill Maes

rf2cr
    Participant

Thanks Bill,

In the original post I was thinking Hooka, never heard of smoker with water pan before, look forward to trying one out once we finally get down there on a permanent basis.

Regards,

Ruth

wmaes47

Fantastico

I was driving in San Ramon yesterday and spotted MY NEW BUTCHER SHOP… Some of the nicest pork picnic hams I had ever seen in Costa Rica.

The next opportunity and trip, I will be preparing a delicious ham. The prospects of a nice ham in Costa Rica is exciting.

I forgot to mention, that with smoking/cooking the toughest meats in the world wil come to perfection.

Scott… We need a seperate forum for cooking and sharing.

Happy Smokin´ and Pura Vida
    Bill Maes

jenny

Most Costa Ricans that try BBQ love it, along with baked bean and potato salad. If someone opens a BBQ shake, I am sure they will get customers. BBQ chicken wings are a constant request when we have celebrations with our TICO friends. Chocolate cake and BBQ chicken wings. The only problem is you can not spice them up to much.

Love good BBQ, please keep us posted. Where is that place located in San Ramon that has Ham? Do you have a telephone number for the butcher shop? We thought you could only get ribs from PSM but we found a local butcher that sold them for half the cost.

Last year someone quoted me the price of ham and I almost had a smoke house built (smile).

wmaes47

I wasn’t trying to make you think it was a cooked ham, it is a Picnic Ham that is ready for cooking. It is in the raw and appears to have the butt attached.

The place has nice pork and he makes great sausage.

Whole pork picnic ham is priced at 2,200 colones per kilo at this carniceria. 14 Nov 06

San Antonio Res Carniceria Cerado
    San Ramon, Alajuela

Directions in San Ramon: From the North side of Escuela Jorge Washington, go 900 meters to the West and on the Southwest corner in the Carniceria.

This is my first time for giving directions, Costa Rican style. Not bad, eh.

Happy Smokin´
    Bill Maes

jenny

Thanks, even one you need to cook is good. Thanks for the info

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Can anyone point me toward a reliable source of hickory chips for my smoker? I’ve seen them months ago (when I didn’t need them, of course) at Cemaco or EPA, but they’re not on the shelf now. EPA is selling a small electric smoker, but there’s no sign of hickory chips.

I’ve been experimenting with smoking almonds recently. The first batch I brined for a couple of days and then smoked over hickory. They were pretty good. The most recent batch I brined in brewed coffee and then smoked over coffee wood. I prefer the hickory-smoked ones. So the ready availability of coffee wood doesn’t seem to be much of an asset.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.