Simple question…Can you pronounce Escazu?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Simple question…Can you pronounce Escazu?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Annette

How does one pronounce “Escazu”?
    Learning to love Costa Rica and this web site. This is my 1st Spanish Lesson!!!
    Annette in Asheville, NC

wmaes47

Try this in three sylables …

S KA Zoo

Spelling 201
    Bill Maes

happygirl

Remember that a”z” is pronounced as an “s” in Spanish es ca soo

Annette

Thanks. I had heard it pronounced by someone here, from Madrid. The Z almost sounded like “th”. I think I need some serious lessons. Happy day to you. I’m French, so it’s all Greek to me.
    Annette Renee Boudreau

vegasknite

Annette

If you go to arcr on the right side of the page there are links if you click the top box called learn spanish it will take you to a new page press start and it will take you to some free spanish lessons that are fun and easy. It’s not just writen but has voice lesson. Try it it’s fun.
    Steve

Annette

Thank you Steve. This IS fun.
    Annette

vegasknite

You’re welcome… Before you know it you will be conversing in spanish too. Have fun learning. If you have any other questions about Costa Rica this forum is the best place to come for answers.

Pura Vida,
    Steve
    vegasknite@aol.com

dehaaij

You’re right about the “th” sound for the letter “z”. That’s the way it is pronounced in Spain and that is proper Spanish. So since you heard it from a Spaniard, you probably heard correctly.

However, most Costa Ricans do not pronounce the “z” with “th” sound. They would pronounce the “z” in Escazu (and other words as well) with a “z” or an “s” as in “zoo” or “sue”. The zoo and sue sound so similar it’s difficult to hear the difference.

Jon

Annette

Thanks everybody. It’s all a bit clearer now. I’m looking forward to language classes, then relocation within a year and a half…an exquisite dream.
    Annette

maravilla

I know plenty of people who speak fluent Spanish and most of them do not do the lisp, only the upper crust Spaniards who speak Castillian.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.