Should I use a lawyer to rent a home?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Should I use a lawyer to rent a home?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

myself, wife and 3 kids will be looking to rent in September, if we find something should we use a lawyer to put the agreement together? in the states i would not but this appears to be a animal with different spots costa ricas legal system. Any assistance and recommendations would be treated with much kindness and dinner

regards

p.s. would like a 3 or 4 bedroom with local schools near and almost safe……

costaricabill
    Participant

Any particlar area of the country?
    How long a lease?
    crb

any where within 3 hrs of san jose by car……i want to just pull up and get out and leave all the gadgets behind….have had enough…..did it once in salvador for 3 yrs and it was great……dont want a car, wife needs internet,dont need tv ….maybe heredia, santa ana, looked at escazu but you need a car there…..we can lease at least for a year would like to lease option if that should pop up ….need to be near a public school for my kids age of 12 9 8 all girls

costaricafinca
    Participant

Unless your kids are bilingual, the public school system won’t be a good idea. Even then, you will probably find them ‘lacking’.
    Pick the schools first, then search the area for homes.
    Don’t sign or send a deposit to hold any property…check it out in person first.
    You shouldn’t need a lawyer but that may change if you do decide to sign a lease.
    You may wish to search for information on living legally in Costa Rica, if you haven’t already done so, otherwise you will all have to leave, every 90 days. [url=www.arcr.net]ARCR[/url]

Minuit

I think next public school year starts end of January or beginning of february. That gives you some months to travel the country, rent short term and see where you would like to live for a longer time.
    Was it a mistake but 3 hours from S-J gives you a good choice of places, although without a car.

If you are here long term, it is always a good idea to spend some time visiting, make contacts before ou make a decision.
    Good luck

anneliseped

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Unless your kids are bilingual, the public school system won’t be a good idea. Even then, you will probably find them ‘lacking’.
    THE CHILDREN ARE AT A PERFECT AGE FOR LEARNING A NEW LANGUAGE! Consequently, the public school would be perfect for that. At those ages, they already are able to read English and can gather information from their mother’s internet in the subjects that may be weaker at the local school. Learning a new language and new social skills, ie non-competitive play, will enhance their lives and any specific facts and skills can be picked up with a little home schooling if required.

mediatica

I agree that you should pick the school for your children first, then worry about housing. I think using an attorney is not necessary. Lease law in this country has been and always will be on the side of the renter. Lease terms are for 3 years even if you sign for one year…. Private bilingual schools can be expensive depending on the area. We have a few choices in our area of Guanacaste, but it’s not a 3 hour drive from SJO, but about 3.5 with the new highway. Good luck to you and your family.

Hello
    If the contract is in Spanish 100% Yes. Even if it’s in English Costa Rica laws may be diffent from your home country.

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricalawyer”]Hello
    If the contract is in Spanish 100% Yes. Even if it’s in English Costa Rica laws may be diffent from your home country.[/quote]

Sounds like lawyers touting lawyers but costaricalawyer is right.

If I’m not mistaken a standard lease is for 3 years and if you break it you forfeit your deposit. Lessor has the hassle of finding another renter so it’s fair.

Be honest with the landlord and let them know your situation up front.

I’m not a fan of ARCR and after 2 years of doing things myself I dropped the membership but I know that others need the reassurance of the support that they provide.

Their attorney, Pacheco, is good.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.