Shopping trip to San Jose

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Shopping trip to San Jose

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dave2CR

My wife & I are looking for some suggestions for both places to shop, and to stay for a night or two, around San Jose & area. Looking for home furnishings and the like. We have a condo in Playa Hermosa, Guanacaste, and the pickings up here are somewhat sparce & costly. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

My recommendation would be to center your shopping around Escazu. There, you’ll find the MultiPlaza (including a Cemaco housewares store), EPA (think Home Depot), a Walmart, PriceSmart (think Costco), Play (a large electronics and appliance store), ConstruPlaza (a large retail ferreteria) and others.

On the commercial strip in Escazu, too, there are several smaller specialty outlets like a GE store, an oriental carpet store, and another contemporary furnishings store the name of which escapes me. If you go to La Artistica (contemporary furniture) in Pavas (an exit or two on the circumnavigation route from the autopista that runs through Escazu), you’ll also be nearby a second large Cemaco store (to the east) and Tips (a large commercial kitchenware outlet) a couple of blocks to the south of the U.S. Embassy. La Artistica has some sort of outlet store in San Jose proper but I don’t know where.

You can reach all the rest of these places without ever actually entering San Jose. As for saving any money, I can’t say, but you’re sure to have the best selections in the country in and around San Jose.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I recommend the Alyss stores, at various locations including
    Escazu – just south of MultiPlaza
    Real Cariari Mall on the main highway to the airport
    Zapote
    Multiplaza del Este
    Curridabat
    TerraMall

rf2cr
    Participant

Alyss has great household products and furniture at good prices plus lots of decoration extras that help to make a house a “home”. If you are looking for lighting, Construplaza is good and for good quality furniture you might want to check out the new Ashley outlet on the highway out of Escazu towards Calderas. If time allows Mundo Pequeno can be a great source for inexpensive “stuff”. (MP is just outside Escazu at the same exit as Construplaza – until you know it, just a little tricky to find the entrance).

Dave2CR

Thanks to you all! Liz & I visited most of the shops you folks recommended, and now my credit card hurts. 🙂

Seriously, the car was pretty much loaded on the way back to Playa Hermosa and we had a good time in Escazu. We found a little ’boutique’ hotel called Out of Bounds that we both recommend. Almost directly across the road is the Taj Mahal, a a really fine Indian restaurant. We ordered ‘medium’ spice, which is’definitely ‘mild’to the Canadian palate. But great food and lots of it. Go there hungry.
    I will not wish my life away but, that said, I can scarcely wait to retire in Costa Rica.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.