Shipping – What big items to bring with you

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Shipping – What big items to bring with you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bloucas

Hi All. Lets talk about big ticket items, primarily appliances. My wife and I are finally making the move in Jan. We live in S. Cal. and bought a house by the south pacific coast town of Uvita. We have to completely furnish it so we will bring what we have and have some pieces built there (as recommended). The kitchen needs a re-model so need appliances. We found a Bosch gas cook top that should work well but were warned about buying a fridge here because it would not have a warranty in CR. Important because the voltage fluctuations/outages can be hard on electrical appliances (true?). Any opinions on this? We will bring TVs, stereos and other “stuff” we already own. Plan to buy a good gas BBQ here. We just bought a new mattress and will have bed built there.
    Are there any other big ticket items we should buy here and ship and are there any that would be better off buying in CR?We plan on using a 20′ container (probably C Zeller)
    Also, is it usually more costly to ship from west coast? Is it trucked up (typical?) from Panama to San Jose for customs? Who usually unloads the truck when it arrives at your front door in CR?
    Been planning this for a couple of years and finally making it happen!!!
    Bill

waggoner41

[quote=”bloucas”]Hi All. Lets talk about big ticket items, primarily appliances. My wife and I are finally making the move in Jan. We live in S. Cal. and bought a house by the south pacific coast town of Uvita. We have to completely furnish it so we will bring what we have and have some pieces built there (as recommended). The kitchen needs a re-model so need appliances. We found a Bosch gas cook top that should work well but were warned about buying a fridge here because it would not have a warranty in CR. Important because the voltage fluctuations/outages can be hard on electrical appliances (true?). Any opinions on this? We will bring TVs, stereos and other “stuff” we already own. Plan to buy a good gas BBQ here. We just bought a new mattress and will have bed built there.
    Are there any other big ticket items we should buy here and ship and are there any that would be better off buying in CR?We plan on using a 20′ container (probably C Zeller)
    Also, is it usually more costly to ship from west coast? Is it trucked up (typical?) from Panama to San Jose for customs? Who usually unloads the truck when it arrives at your front door in CR?
    Been planning this for a couple of years and finally making it happen!!!
    Bill[/quote]

We shipped our “stuff” with Zeller and he takes care of everything from customs to your door.

We used a 40′ container and brought an old Datsun pickup with us. We wish we had brought the appliances and used them until they wouldn’t function and then opt for Tico type appliances which are smaller but durable.

Electrical spikes would be tough on any appliance no matter what. Some electiians here can better answer your concens about that.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Nothing you buy in the U.S. will have any warranty coverage in Costa Rica, whether it’s a range, refrigerator, TV or whatever, unless you buy an international warranty which some computer manufacturers do offer.

If you’re bringing a container, and if you own a usable bed now, why not bring it in the container? The container is a fixed cost, full or empty, so why not fill it up?

I’d suggest you bring all the little stuff, too. You can’t own too many tools, kitchen utensils, linens, countertop appliances, etc. And what about a washer and dryer? If there’s space in the container and you’re not using it, you’re overpaying for what you do bring and replacing it will be a headache.

ardenbrink

[quote=”waggoner41″]We wish we had brought the appliances and used them until they wouldn’t function and then opt for Tico type appliances which are smaller but durable.

Electrical spikes would be tough on any appliance no matter what. Some electiians here can better answer your concerns about that.[/quote]

Hi, Arden Brink here. Yes, I can recommend you bring upholstered furniture, appliances, things like dehumidifiers, vacuum cleaners, linens… tons of stuff. It’s not just the “big stuff” — lots of the “little stuff” here is either of bad quality or very high-priced, so it’s worth really thinking about what to bring.

If you’d like to email me at arden@mainersincostarica.com I can send you a free book excerpt that will give you LOTS of suggestions, and you can also search on this site for other articles I’ve written which will give some good insights.

–arden–

grb1063

Tools are a must, especially construction tools if you plan to build [u]anything[/u]. Try an easily find a HILTI, Makita or Bosch tool or Porter-Cable, Senco or Bostich pneumatic nailer. If you do, the cost will make you wish you brought them. Even the little quality tools like Stanley wonder bars or 5 in 1 tools are hard to find. Appliances are the other big ticket item that are irreplaceable for the same cost in CR. Quality, custom made furniture you can get in CR often for less than the cheap garabage you buy in the US. Unless its an heirloom piece, leave it behind unless you have spare room in the 40′. Lastly, we would not part with are Tempurpedic matress if our lives were at stake.

plasticbrad

Good quality garbage cans and plastic storage containers are great things to bring.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”plasticbrad”]Good quality garbage cans and plastic storage containers are great things to bring.[/quote]

Hmmm . . . This from a guy who calls himself “[u]plastic[/u]brad”?

I wonder . . .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.