Shipping To Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Shipping To Costa Rica

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    fincatenorio

I would like to hear from those of you who have shipped a container. What company did you you use, what did you like and dislike. Please be very frank, I have seen several articles on this issue about different companies. I have sent MANY email to a particular company that have had articles on this site- but she have never once responded. I guess business is so good she doesn’t have time. Thanks in advance.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I am sorry to hear that you have not had a response from the people who have written a few shipping articles for us…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

DavidCMurray
    Participant

We shipped a container using a Costa Rican company that I am not pleased with and whose name I will not repeat.

I believe that logic dictates that you ship your household goods rather than disposing of everything and buying new here. The value of what you own in the U.S. is negligible. What it will cost you to replace everything (or most things) will be much higher than you’d guess, and the selections here are limited. What’s more, you’ll have to figure out where to shop. That, in itself, is a daunting task.

What’s more, most of us have things that we’re not willing to give up — heirlooms, photographs, etc. You’ll either have to part with those or ship them somehow. By the time you’ve shipped a bunch of stuff anyway, taken the hit on what you get rid of in the States, and replaced everything, you’ll be out a lot of money, you will have done a lot of unnecessary work, and you will have spent a lot of time finding out where to shop.

Your local U.S.-based moving company (Bekins, Mayflower, Wheaton, etc) can arrange containerized international moves, but I think it wiser to engage a company based here in Costa Rica which has good local connections and which understands well the ins and outs of the importation process.

fincatenorio

Thanks David for the information – if you would be so kind as to email me the name of the company and reason why you would not refer anyone to them. I have heard some things about both shipping companies and what to hear everyone’s opinions, and experiences.

ardenbrink

Arden Brink here — of Ship Costa Rica — and since I think I’m the only “she” that’s been writing articles on shipping on this site, I think the original poster must have been referring to me. To my knowledge I have NO unanswered emails (and MANY from this site will be able to affirm that I normally answer very quickly) so if the original poster would like to provide some kind of further information, I’d be delighted to get in touch. There *was* a time in the past when we had some email problems but to my knowledge they’ve all been sorted out. I have NO idea why I would not have received emails from you, but perhaps you would like to send something to Scott and he’ll certainly send it on to me. I know it’s important to him, too, of course, that his recommended company answer their inquiries.

I’d also like to just make clear that while David Murray prefers NOT to name the company with which he was so unhappy — his choice, of course, — he *has* posted this name elsewhere in the past and it was DEFINITELY NOT Ship Costa Rica. Just in case his posting here created any possible confusion that we were the ones that he was so unhappy with.

Thanks and I look forward to connecting in order to see if we can help you with your shipping needs.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Arden is exactly right. We have never done business with her and are in no position to reflect upon the treatment you’ll receive if you opt to have her do your move.

We had two significant problems: First, we were quoted a price that included shipment of the container itself (loaded by us, of course), processing through Customs, and two partial deliveries. We built a guest house which required furnishing first. The balance of our shipment stayed in storage until our main house was completed. When the time came for the second delivery, to the main house, we were informed that there would be an additional delivery charge of $250, ” . . . as provided for in the contract . . .”. I asked for a copy of the contract I signed but the company could not provide one. That’s no surprise since there was never a contract of any type. Everything was done verbally. Of course, they had our stuff, so what choice did we have but to pay the additional charge?

The second problem was that a significant amount of stuff was stolen while the contents of the main house were in storage. None of what was missing was critical, but it was ours and we had a right to it, having paid to have it shipped and stored in what we reasonably assumed would be a secure environment.

In addition to many little things (the can opener, half a set of sheets, three inexpensive wristwatches, several umbrellas, etc) we also came up missing ninety-five quilted bedspreads — ninety five! We’d bought those from Goodwill Industries and used them under that industrial strength self-adhesive shrink wrap to wrap everything that couldn’t go into boxes (things like sofas, end tables, a TV, beds, etc). While our things were in storage, somebody unwrapped all those items, stole the bedspreads, and left our belongings to get filthy dirty. And our neighbors locally might have liked to have the option to have them. Many were perfectly useable.

There is a risk in Costa Rica of being sued for libel or being charged criminally for telling the truth about a company, so I must elect not to name names.

editer

David C,

I may be moving a household of goods down to Perez Zeledon. If you have the time and inclination, I’d appreciate it if you could compile a short list of other shipping companies that you did NOT use to make your move. I’m pretty sure that you can’t be sued for not including on the list the company that you did use.

editer

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Companies we DID NOT use, eh? Well, lessee . . .

We did not use any U.S.-based company such as Bekins, North American, Wheaton, Mayflower, etc.

We did not use ABC Mudanzanas(sp?).

We did not use Arden Brink’s company.

We did not use Ship to Costa Rica (Charles Zellar’s company).

Maybe that’ll help.

Dave

landsale

We used “Ship Costa Rica”. I will be using them again when we move my son down. I have no negatives to say about them and it’s not because of lawsuits. We shipped our car in the container which they had nationalized. Everything arrived in pristine condition except for 2 pieces of pottery that I had not padded properly. I have to say that Arden and Barry took great care of our belongings! They might cost more than other shippers but you get what you pay for!!

I was a real pain in the butt with questions (emails) and they always answered them. Their US counterparts were also very helpful and quite patient with my ignorance. Hopefully this next time I won’t be such a pain. I highly recommend “Ship Costa Rica”!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.