Shipping pets to Costa Rica:

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Shipping pets to Costa Rica:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Vmc

Ok guys, I tried to search this subject, but didn’t find what I was looking for.

There WAS a thread discussing shipping pets, and what airlines were more “Pet Friendly”, but I can’t seem to find it.

We pretty much know all the health requirements, but there was mention of a Vet in CR who would pick your pets up and make sure they get into CR and released to you in a timely fashion.

Does anybody remember this thread, or who authored it, so I could get some questions answered?

Thanks as always!

Dan.

maravilla

are you shipping them separately from your flight? it’s a whole other animal if you are.

Vmc

[quote=”maravilla”]are you shipping them separately from your flight? it’s a whole other animal if you are.[/quote]

We don’t know….which way works out better?

maravilla

how many are you shipping? it’s easier if they go in cargo on the same plane with you, otherwise you will pay more money, and the dogs will be held somewhere and then you need the vet, etc. if they come on the plane with you, you pick them up in the same room where you get your luggage, given the customs officer the doggie paperwork and that’s it. check with the airlines though as there are lots of restrictions — what time of year it is, how much the dog weights, and how many of them there are.

Vmc

[quote=”maravilla”]how many are you shipping? it’s easier if they go in cargo on the same plane with you, otherwise you will pay more money, and the dogs will be held somewhere and then you need the vet, etc. if they come on the plane with you, you pick them up in the same room where you get your luggage, given the customs officer the doggie paperwork and that’s it. check with the airlines though as there are lots of restrictions — what time of year it is, how much the dog weights, and how many of them there are.[/quote]

We have two large puppies…..And we’re trying to get this wrapped up and in CR by the middle of May.

…Looks like we’ll bring them with us and then board them for a few days while we get settled and hopefully in that time we can find a home..

We are SO looking forward to getting there, I just can’t tell you.

Pura Vida!

Dan.

maravilla

define large. because if they weigh more than 100 pounds they won’t be traveling commercial jet.

Vmc

[quote=”maravilla”]define large. because if they weigh more than 100 pounds they won’t be traveling commercial jet.[/quote]

LOL…Not THAT large, but darn near. A Black Lab and Great Dane, both together weigh less than 180 tons, er….POUNDS.

….We shoulda had Chihuahuas.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Great danes, have been mentioned in other posts, that they require special large containers. and the cost mentioned was approx. $700
    But, since you still haven’t visited this country of ours, aren’t you putting the dog before the cart?
    Only a few airlines will fly pets now, and Continental is one.

maravilla

that’s like shipping a small pony. before you make any other plans you had better start checking with the airlines and figure out the logistics of moving these behemoths. do they even make a dog crate big enough for a great dane to stand up in? and in may, well, it could be above the temperature that the airlines will permit. there are all kinds of niggling little details to be attended to, so don’t put this off or you could be very disappointed.

costaricafinca
    Participant

It was mentioned that one needs at least a [b]700 size[/b] carrier [i]if your dog is a small dane ???[/i], otherwise the airline will not allow the dog to board.
    Check this [url=http://www.pettravelstore.com/store-pet-airline-cargo-crates.html]travel info[/url]

Vmc

[quote=”costaricafinca”]It was mentioned that one needs at least a [b]700 size[/b] carrier [i]if your dog is a small dane ???[/i], otherwise the airline will not allow the dog to board.
    Check this [url=http://www.pettravelstore.com/store-pet-airline-cargo-crates.html]travel info[/url][/quote]

Ours is a VERY small Dane, she’s like 80 lbs, so I’m not so worried, she’s only slightly bigger than our Lab and weighs less……

I think we’re going to be ok, but will check out Continental, thanks for the advice!!

jafranz

Call Continental Live Animal Desk at 1-800-575-3335.
    Have available the weight, height, and length of each animal.
    Go to Continental’s website and it also explains how to measure the size. The animal desk is very helpful.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.