Shipping my motor scooter or buying in CR?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Shipping my motor scooter or buying in CR?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    pauljorofino

Can anyone advise me as to whether it would be cheaper to ship my 195 lb 50 cc motor scooter from Miami to CR or buy one there? Is it easy to register it there? I expect to spend at least 3 months in CR. Thanks for any info.

Paul

costaricafinca
    Participant

It can only stay here for 3 months on your tourist visa as can you. You can renew your own visa by leaving the country, but your scooter must [i]stay out for at least 90 days[/i] until it can re-enter the country or you can legally register it, then be required to pay duty, tax etc. When arriving by boat, it will have to be fumigated at your cost, and be placed in the compound for 2-3 days, again at your expense. You will need to pay for a government inspection which it must pass and then you will be required to purchase the Marchamo to allow it on the road.
    Renting [i]may be easier[/i] ….plus you can see if you really want to risk your life, depending on where you are staying and if they are available for rent.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I would think that it would be cheaper, and certainly easier, to scout up a used scooter to buy once you’re here in Costa Rica. If you find something that’s already inspected, titled, and licensed, all that misery is eliminated as would be the expense of shipping yours from Miami and back. Then, when you’re ready to leave, you could sell it. Even if you gave it away, it still seems like the path of least resistance and probably cheaper.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I LOVED motorcycles of all kinds when I was 16-25 years old, I also lost some good friends who died on motorbikes…

Would I ride one in Costa Rica?

No sirreeee!

A ‘problemito’ in the road, whether it be a pothole, a missing manhole cover or just general ‘wear and tear’ on the road in a country that gets a LOT of rain every year that might only cause minor damage to your car, will kill you on a motorbike!

Scott

grb1063

I followed an expat on a Harley from Colon to Montezuma. He was a great lead for missing all the potholes between Paquera and Cobano. I can’t imagine riding a bike that big on the Autopista no matter how experienced you are; sometimes you just can’t defeat physics.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.