Shipping Dogs

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Shipping Dogs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    rf2cr
    Participant

I know this is a subject that has been covered in many posts and I have read every one. Here is our problem and wonder if anyone can offer any advice or respond with their experiences.

We have two female labradors – ages 10 & 5, excellent health, average weight 60 lbs each. We have purchase the shipping kennels and have them very accustomed to them. So far – so good! Getting all of the paperwork will be no problem as our vet has been advised and is prepared to do what has to be done.

Here is our problem, in order to cut their actual flight (figure 4 hour check in and 3+ hours flight) to the shortest possible with no transfers, we plan to drive to Houston, Dallas or Miami from Southern California. We will accept any flight but prefer flying into Liberia) Continental is saying that 1) it is only possible to get a confirmed booking 3 days in advance and only if the plane is less than 75% filled. (it will take us 1 to 3 days to make the ground trip so might not be able to book anything until we are actually in the take off city ). We plan to make our move right after Christmas and according to Continental January is their peak period for flights to CR. It looks like we could possibly arrive in our take off city and have to spend who know how long to get onto a flight.

Does anyone have any experience or contacts that might beable to help us figure out how to do this?

Appreciate your imput.

chanowich

We brought our 20-lb 15-year old Westie Sebastian here in September as cargo on Continental from Newark with no problems but we had some scary moments when we thought he might get bumped. Fortunately we traveled during low season (Aug 17-Nov 17) because during high season they won’t accept any animals if flight is over 75% full. We were told he could only be confirmed three days before if they didn’t have too much cargo!! If he had gotten bumped we would have had to pay $250/night for them to kennel him until a flight became available. It cost almost $300 one-way for the dog but less than $200 round-trip each for my husband and me! The airline advised me to make back-up arrangements with a private animal shipper whose quote was $3,500!! My advise is to bring your pets during low season only. Good luck!

maravilla

I just got off the phone with Continental and they are quoting $289 each way plus the overage charge for fuel, so it will be around $300+ each way by the time they’re done. When I expressed concern about the 3 day advance booking if I had already booked my flight but the dog couldn’t go, they said they could be very accomodating with my ticket, but less accomodating about getting the dog on the same flight. Sheesh. What a hassle. Frontier still insists they won’t take dogs on international flights, and Delta can’t quote me a rate until I get to the airport. Traveling high season with pets seems to be the biggest problem, so now I’m going to have to re-think this whole doggie travel thing.

Peg

Has anyone tried American Airlines?

maravilla

They’re my project tomorrow!!

cindyc

I brought my dog down from Illinois on Delta, which I guess is the preferred airline by breeders who do this sort of thing all the time. You want to make sure they arrive on a week day and as early as possible to give you time to get them out of customs. Because of this, my dog stayed the night in Delta’s Atlanta hub which has specialized animal facilities. He was fine when he came into San Jose the next day. The cost was about $200 and since I was already in Costa Rica I went and picked him up when he came in. I had to bribe him out of customs though, so I would fly into Liberia and not San Jose. So, maybe if you had someone either in the states who could handle keeping them for a few days and getting them on another flight if they can’t go with your flight. Or, try and send them on before you if you have someone in Costa Rica who can pick them up and take care of them for a few days. I have found in Costa Rica it is best to have a plan A, B, C, and sometimes D.

maravilla

American Airlines only charges $100 each way for a pet in cargo, but getting a flight that has room for the dog is problematic. I gave them dates of travel as 12/29 returning 2/10 and there was no room in cargo — so traveling with pets during peak season is going to be a hassle.

Could you do any better with Frontier Airlines? They start seasonal service to CR in November. I think you might have to do it through the main hub in Denver. You might luck out since this is a new service and your could put off using your Continental reservations by cancelling them and re-booking 330 days before from this year’s flight date. Of course, when you rebook you would of course have to pay any fare increase and a cancellation fee. If you decided to cancel Continental make them tell you what the actual date by when you must rebook and pay your cancellation fee.

maravilla

Frontier won’t take animals in cargo to Costa Rica, or any international destination other than Canada. They told me it was because of possible smuggling of drugs inside the dog. Go figure. Frontier would be the best for me too — it would be a nonstop from denver, but unless they relent on this rule after they start service, it’s a no go.

ryranch

Have called Continental and American Airlines(today) re bringing our dog to CR. Continental quoted $379 each way. American Airlines quoted $100 each way. The best fare quoted for humans was $289 each way for non stop flight from Los Angeles departing at 11pm arriving San Jose 620am. American stated if the dog cannot fly because of temperature restrictions or space you better have someone to take your dog or re-book for a price. We live in Custer SD, if Frontier took pets it would be great otherwise need to drive to Los Angeles.

rf2cr
    Participant

Thanks “Guys”,

You have come up with the same information I have and it doesn’t look good, I don’t want to move down in January and leave the dogs until Summer as we hit the heat restrictions (besides don’t want to be living there with them here.) I guess we might have to risk it and drive to whoevers hub, wherever that might be and plan to stay there until we can get on a flight – a long spell in a Motel 6 in Houston (Atlanta, Miami or ?) with two dogs – oh boy – that sounds like a ball! Appreciate all your info, just hoped maybe someone had taken a different route and that there was something I was missing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.