Shipping Container Homes

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Shipping Container Homes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Is anyone living in one of the shipping container homes that are being offer by the company in San Ramon? If you have visited the builder or have bought one I would like to talk to you about your experience. I think we could maybe get Scott’s help to exchange our email addresses.

I am still a left over hippie at heart, so I find the idea of such a home with a very big porch a hot idea for my old age!

Gracias y buena suerte!

Tom on a Budget in Portland, Oregon

kimball

Im thinking about buying one to live in while i build my house.

costaricafinca
    Participant

It’s going to be hot, hot, hot….

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Now wait a minute, costaricafinca. What if he puts it in the shade, on the windward side of the slope, and above 8,000 feet?

pweisel1

For about the same money you could purchase a 1 bedroom prefab home with perhaps twice the space and a more desirable layout (not as strong as a container, though). Search this site for companies – there were some articles a while back. The idea of shipping containers is interesting, especially when multiple containers are used. Dwell Magazine did an article a while back, and web searches will find various applications…

I think the way to go would be to purchase the container(s) yourself (around 2-4K each, depending on size), and hire contractors yourself to finish them for less than what the company is selling them for…

Imxploring
    Participant

A prefab cement cabina would be a better option. Cost are about the same and you can use it as a guest/caretaker house when you finish your own home. More house… and nicer looking… I really love the idea of recycling the old shipping containers… but the cost and the layout really don’t have much of an appeal. I was quite surprised to see the cost… and short of getting them decked out with all the bells and whistles… they’re just big boxes with a door and a window or two!

costaricafinca
    Participant

DavidCMurray, you are right! I didn’t take everything to consideration! I just thought of getting into the car on a hot day!
    I agree with pweisel1, in that for a similar price a small ‘slide together cement home’ is a better idea. Especially if you didn’t like the container home and tried to resell.
    Although, I do like the idea of the container homes, if, they consisted of more than one and lots of thought of placement and design went into it.

I know a guy who was looking for the same type of option of where to reside during construction of his project. He went to Florida and bought a furnished travel trailer that can be pulled by a pick-up truck. This unit was built with insulated walls and ceilings and central A/C and is furnished with everything you need to live comfortably and was only about $15,000. He then shipped it here and paid the taxes and I believe he spent $3500 to get it here ready to be pulled to where he needed it.

Phbrookins

Speaking of Dwell magazine, Does anyone know any architects/ builders that are familiar w/ modern home design. I’m building in Manzanillo and I’m planning a small 2-3 BR house w/ an open floor plan. Balinese stye if you will. Secondly. How are people securing their homes when they leave the country for 3-4 months at a time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.