Shipment Insurance

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Shipment Insurance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gomiqueen2

Hey all, I’m getting closer to my move. Just a quick question for those who have gone before me. I have a very small shipment – mostly personal items and had a really hard time finding someone who handled a small load. I am told that the shipper (because I pack myself) will not and does not insure the shipment other than maritime insurance. Did anyone find a way to insure a small shipment less than 200cft? Thanks all.

baontheriver

[quote=”gomiqueen2″]Hey all, I’m getting closer to my move. Just a quick question for those who have gone before me. I have a very small shipment – mostly personal items and had a really hard time finding someone who handled a small load. I am told that the shipper (because I pack myself) will not and does not insure the shipment other than maritime insurance. Did anyone find a way to insure a small shipment less than 200cft? Thanks all.[/quote]

Talk to Charley Zeller at shiptocostarica.com He can tell you exactly what you need to. He can ship large or small amounts but there is a certain way that you have to pack to get it into CR. When we shipped our belongings two years ago he already had 34 years of shipping experience. Good Luck with the move.

gomiqueen2

Thank you so much for your information but Charlie is shipping my items – only issue was – it won’t be insured and that was my concern. Was your shipment insured? I understand the liability if I am packing and the shipper has no way of knowing what really is in the boxes, but I was more concerned that my shipment would be sitting there saying “no ones looking, take me”.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Insured or not, you’ll be exposing yourself to some risk of loss. If you do your own packing, then proving what was in a box and what its value was will be a difficult task.

Were it mine to do, I’d plan to carry anything of high value with me on the plane. Even if you have to pay for a couple of extra suitcases, that would be less expensive than losing that volume of high-value things. And for such stuff as jewelry, I’d plan to pack that in my carry-on.

gomiqueen2

Hey Dave,

Yeah, I’m more than aware of that and I’m not shipping anything that is really high value at all but I would like to get my clothes and blankets, sheets, etc I’m sending as well as some kitchen stuff, too much to carry even in extra shipment and the airlines will only let you bring a total of 5 now period , even if you paid extra for them – bummer.

Thanks for the info.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.