Sex trafficking in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Sex trafficking in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    goodlife

Is sex trafficking in Costa Rica a real concern or is it totally exaggerated?

http://www.ticotimes.net/Current-Edition/Top-Story/Report-identifies-Costa-Rica-sex-tourism-centers_Friday-July-01-2011

crltd

goodlife…any where there is poverty/hunger there is a chance for this type of trafficking. as the article mentioned it is often done by members of immediate family. yes costa rica has poverty.
    crltd

maravilla

As long as there are dirty old men who want to have sex with children, there will be this type of societal problem. look at thailand where rich white men go to have sex with 6 year olds. ugh if the sex trade wasn’t a problem in costa rica, they wouldn’t have signs in the airport telling you it is illegal to do this.

waggoner41

If the U.S. was not in control of the list it would probably find itself listed as a tier 2 or 3 nation itself.

Illegal importation into the U.S. for sex from Central America and the Far East has been an issue in the States for decades.

I won’t minimise this issue but the larger problem in Costa Rica is the local men having sex with underage girls. Much of the time it is incestuous.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Jeez! Where do you guys dig up all this negative stuff?

There are a LOT of good things happening in Costa Rica too you know….

It’s my understanding from reading the Spanish language press that the majority of the women who are described as being “trafficked” actually came here voluntarily from the Dominican Republic, Colombia and Nicaragua to sell their sexual services.

And U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said during a 27th June 2011 presentation that: “More human beings are being exploited today than ever before.”

Yup! Including in her own country …..

“According to the Family Research Council [ http://www.frc.org/traffic ] “Each year, right under our noses, 100,000 American children each year are victimized by sex traffickers. Make no mistake, this is not a problem that’s just “over there.” These heinous crimes are happening in our own backyards”.”

According to Amnesty International, one of the worst human sex trafficking offenders is Israel (also classified by the State Department as Tier 2 for trafficking – which is less than half the size of Costa Rica – “Israel has been mentioned by the Amnesty International of having the highest human sex trafficking the Middle East – between 3,000 to 5,000 White Christian women sold into sex slavery each year. Tel Aviv is also world’s top City of Brothels with 280 Jewish-run brothels.”

Ain’t that sweet?

There’s no way Costa Rica comes anywhere close to those numbers ….

[ http://rehmat1.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/americas-child-sex-slaves/ ]

Sex Trafficking in America

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I have no doubt that sex trafficking exists at significant levels in Costa Rica, in Israel, in the U.S., and in almost every other country where there is sufficient wealth to support it. That’s just about everywhere.

What I am dubious about, however, is the numbers. Whether you’re talking about the exploitation of children by their own family members within their own homes, or the transnational transportation of captive persons in chains, or something in between, so much of this occurs in the shadows, under the radar, that getting hard data would be impossible. Comparing Costa Rica to the U.S. or to Israel or to Thailand is meaningless.

Suffice it to say that the exploitation and trafficking in human beings goes on almost everywhere and that it should be suppressed wherever it is found and whenever it is found.

maravilla

sex trafficking is a worldwide problem — it’s supply and demand. if people weren’t so depraved there wouldn’t be a need to meet the demand. it isn’t a secret that men come here because prostitution is legal; and hand in hand with that is the desire for underage women. now why is that? the sex trade in asia is flourishing, as well as in the EU, and the US. and who are the people demanding such services?

I would agree with Scott, and another member’s post. The U.S. should be on top of the list. In my major city, DHS is raiding the message parlors in China Town, nail shops, etc. Sex slavery may even be happening at the business you walk by every day. I also work for the government, DHS arrests and detains thousands of prostitutes and sex slave women and girls a year.

maravilla

why aren’t they arresting the perverted men who are frequenting these places?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]why aren’t they arresting the perverted men who are frequenting these places?[/quote]

In some jurisdictions they do go after the Johns, publish their pictures, confiscate their cars, etc. I’m not sure how much of a damping effect it has, however, as long as the effort isn’t regional. It’s kind of like New York City’s anti-handgun law. Those who want to own a gun just go to a neighboring jurisdiction and bring one home. Same with the sex trade.

Unfortunately, what we’re talking about is a basic drive inherent in human nature, the reproductive act, regardless of the setting or the circumstances. It’s not so different from the compulsion to use powerful drugs once the brain’s chemistry has been altered to derive such pleasure from them.

The means to rid society of these compulsions seems to have eluded us.

maravilla

having sex with children is NOT about the reproductive act. it’s exploitation and a power trip, and some weird sick thing i don’t even want to know about.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Maravilla, I don’t totally disagree with you, but I do also believe that at some brain stem level the sex drive does enter into any sex act with the possible exception of forecable rape. And never having been inside the mind of a forceable rapist, I don’t think either of us can totally exclude the sex drive even then.

I’m afraid that, like drugs, we can never hope to eradicate the demand for involuntary sex, so we need to find ways to eliminate the supply.

sprite

The best way to eliminate the supply, the ONLY way, is to eliminate scarcity and poverty which drive people to sell themselves or others…and that is impossible to do under the current monetary system.

Versatile

[quote=”maravilla”]sex trafficking is a worldwide problem — it’s supply and demand. if people weren’t so depraved there wouldn’t be a need to meet the demand. it isn’t a secret that men come here because prostitution is legal; and hand in hand with that is the desire for underage women. now why is that? the sex trade in asia is flourishing, as well as in the EU, and the US. and who are the people demanding such services?[/quote]

I probably know about 25 single men and many of them have been to CR and NONE of them ever mentioned at all anything about wanting sex with a minor. Yes single men do have sex; that doesn’t mean we are perverted. Very often the pervert that comes to surface is a married man that has a wife that won’t give him any. I haven’t been to a bachelor party in years but that is my memory of them. The married guys are the ones that talk the trash.

maravilla

ever see those programs where they bust the guys trying to arrange sex with a child? most of them are fat, balding, and yes, married, professionals — doctors, lawyers, dentists. we had a friend who came to CR recently. the best part of his vacation he said was spending a week at the Del Rey and dropping $2000 on hookers. maybe not your friends or mine are after underage sex partners, but somebody wants them because that part of the sex trade is rampant and flourishing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.