Selling Property

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Selling Property

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pmcdowell

I am thinking about buying some property for investment purposes, but have a question about selling. A friend of mine just accepted an offer on some land he bought 1 year ago, but since his lawyer does not have power of attorney over his shares that own the company in order to sell/transfer ownership of the property, the buyers lawyer has told him he must fly to Montreal Canada(we’re from Canda)and go to the Costa Rican consulate to get a notary public to verify his identification. His own lawyer(in CR) said he can get any notary public in Canada to verify his identification as long as he has proper identification. Any one out there have a idea which lawyer is correct?
    Paul

Gr1ng0T1c0

I don’t “know”, but I’d guess that he does have to get it done at the CR Consulate.

In CR you can’t be a Notary Public unless you’re an attorney, and you can’t be an attorney unless you’re licenced to practice in CR. Hence, the CR Consulate would be the only place outside CR that would be able to provide the proper verification of your identity, and to help you create a power of attorney (Poder Especial), for the purposes of conducting a real estate transaction. The Consulate would then forward the document to the proper governmental agency in CR, properly wrapped, stamped & blessed, to make it all official.

If it doesn’t come directly from the Consulate, they can’t be sure it’s authentic. Falsification of documents is a protected industry in CR. Only Ticos can do it inside the Registro Nacional.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.