Seismic activity in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Seismic activity in Costa Rica

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    drbobmellen

Hi How does the seismic activity affect daily life? Thanks Bob

ssure

Hi Bob:

I don’t live in Costa Rica but I go 3 or 4 times a year.
    About a year ago I was in San Pedro (I think it’s called) Mall up on the 3rd level and all of a sudden everything started rumbling and shaking. It only lasted a few seconds but it was loud and scary.
    The locals hardly missed a beat. They stopped for a second and then resumed shopping. I on the other hand would like to report that I saved the mall from collapse by quickly removing my 320lbs from the 3rd level and out the door to where the taxis park. No thanks needed from the mall and the President. Just trying to do my part.

Andrew
    Keymaster

You might want to read:

1. Costa Rica Volcanos and Natural Disasters at

2. Costa Rica Living with Earthquakes and Living Now! At <
    >

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

cindyc

Earthquakes really don’t affect daily life until they happen. Being from California, I don’t sit up and notice until it hits about the 6.0 level, which is rare. I’ve been in Costa Rica about a year and have felt 3-4 small ones roll through. Take precautions, make sure you live in a well built structure that is built to withstand earthquakes. Always, have extra provisions, water, flashlights, radios around. I guess your own personal fear of earthquakes is a factor; I’m scared to death of tornadoes (for no particular reason except too much Wizard of Oz) and wouldn’t live anywhere where those occur frequently.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

In the nearly two years we’ve been in the Grecia area, we’ve been aware of just a couple of minor tremors. Both our houses are built to or beyond the mandatory earthquake standard.

The Wizard of Oz got me, too, Cindy, but it was the Wicked Witch of the West. At about age three, I walked out on her.

tomasino

As seismic activity applies to construction and the aesthetic appearance of the exterior of housing there have been related discussions. See “COVINTEC construction system experiences” on this site.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.