Security film for windows

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Security film for windows

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

Has anyone had a favorable experience with any company that supplies and installs security film on residental windows?
    Recommedations (or fair warnings) please.
    Gracias.

GreciaBound

Search didn’t help much. What locale are you interested in?
    3M has product but usually installed by a local window guy.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

There are at least two sources in Costa Rica.

3M window films are available here. I think their office is in Alajuela. Certainly an e-mail to 3M in Minnesota should give you a lead if Google does not.

The other choice, which we have used on both our houses, is Johnson Window Films supplied and installed by Control Solar of Alajuela. Contact Arleth Jimenez at ajimenez@controlsolar.com.

Both film manufacturers offer films with various degrees of both strength and light reflectivity. You can get tinted films, opaque ones, almost anything you want. The strongest Johnson films render your glass virtually breakproof and so afford a measure of protection against burglars.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]David,[/b] do you have any idea on the cost of these films, now, including installation. We have been asking both companies, and haven’t been given even an approximate cost.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Yours isn’t a straightforward question, crf. It depends on which strength of film you want, if you want it tinted or reflective, etc. They’ll probably also surcharge you if the installation is far, far from their home base.

All that said, in 2006 we paid about $19US per square meter of the thickest clear Johnson film installed outside Grecia. Thinner films are cheaper and afford less protection. This installation came with a ten year guarantee. Ours was a discounted price from list, probably because we’re such a cute couple.

I should add that the price will probably depend, in part, on how big the job is and whether you plan to pay cash or charge it.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Thanks for your response, anyway, David, it at least gives us. an idea, considering what a salesman for a popular window company told us…. I did give both companies more information than what I post, though.:roll:
    One did say, he would be in Guanacaste next week and wanted to stop by, but we are ‘off to town’ tomorrow for a week, so will arrange for him to come at some other time.

costaricabill
    Participant

CRF – can you please tell me who you spoke to, at what company, and phone number – PLEASE!
    I’m in Guanacaste (Samara) and really need to get film put on our windows!
    Thanks in advance, and I’ll be glad to share with you the information and pricing I get (if I can contact them).

costaricabill
    Participant

David – thanks for the information. I sent an email to Arluth asking for a quote or how to get a quote on the Johnson film. I sure hope I hear from him.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The phone number I found for Control Solar (Johnson window films) is: 2223-0200.

The fax is: 2221-4038.

And the e-mail is: info@controlsolar.com.

If you go to http://controlsolar.com/, which is “under construction”, it displays these phone numbers:

506-2520-0320 and

506-2520-0420

costaricafinca
    Participant

I heard from Rudolfo Wattson, CUNO-3M
    Procesos de Purificacion y Separacion
    Gases y Liquidos
    Of (506) 227-71-013, rwattson@mmm.com
    We are in town for a week, but he offered to meet with us here, but due to circumstances we should see him at the end of next week.
    He will be in Guanacaste, all next week, so catch him soon, then he is going out of the country.
    We are in the interior of Guanacaste.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.