Satellite television + PBS and WiFi issues.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Satellite television + PBS and WiFi issues.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

My property above the Orosi Valley directly overlooks the recently upgraded WiFi tower in the downtown. I should have good reception when I build my house.

When I was in Orosi in October, the WiFi at the Montaña Linda worked very well for my T-Mobile 2G phone. I was able to use Skype, get my G-mail, and I finally figure out that if I did WiFi Calling on T-Mobile. Suddenly my whole contact list was available to me by their cell/land line numbers as I was in Portland, Oregon. Since I have a unlimited data plan with T-Mobile, my data plan only way 65 units for three phone calls out of 300 that I usually don’t use very much. One evening in particular, I was walking back from the grocery store and the Montaña Linda WiFi in their restaurant which was closed went off in my pocket which was a bit strange but not welcomed.

So here is where I am going with all of this. I am thinking of keep my T-Mobile alive in Costa Rica once a move until I have built a house. I can answer all emails off line walk down to any of the free WiFi’s in downtown to upload if I can wait to the next day. I have done it twice at two separate businesses that don’t really shut down the WiFi units over night.

But what about PBS television programs over the internet. I am now looking at televisions that make it possible to connect to the Internet on your television unit via WiFi. I am also looking at televisions with Google TV for the same function. I brief watched Netflix on my 2G phone while eating lunch one day at the Montaña Linda, so I know that works fairly well. My 2G is a bit slow for watching it to long however, but I know it works.

Is anybody watching PBS or other favorite channels via WiFi in Costa Rica? I know Scott may not want us to discuss brand names, but maybe if you are running Blu-Ray you could mention that particular fact. I am not trying to figure out a way how to get all this for free, I am willing to sign up and pay for a WiFi account in Orosi.

I am trying to find the lay of the land for purchasing the right equipment for future TV watching.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Portland, Oregon

Travel trip: If you are in Orosi, go to the Montaña Linda restaurant and get the fish plate. ¡Es muy un excelente almuerzo!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.