satellite phone

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum satellite phone

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rebecca

I recently asked a cell phone company about coverage in Costa Rica and they said there are two zones…One in the central part of the country, the other a narrow swath on the Pacific coast. I rented a phone the last time in CR and had problems between San Jose and the coast. Is it better to have a satellite phone? My husband has health issues and we don’t want to get stranded without a phone!

tomc

I have tried to use my satellite phone in CR and the service is very poor. I have rented phones there, and they work very well, but are expensive. I finally got a GSM phone from T-Mobile, here in the states, and had them put me on their international plan. My phone works great in CR anywhere there is cell service. The minutely rate is high, but for the amount I use it when I am there it works out well.

wmaes47

Rebecca

I don’t know the time frame you were last in Costa Rica, but upgrades to the system are in place with more towers.

The phone you used was probably on the TDMA network.

New services and the future of cellular will be with the GSM network, which is the one that T-Moblie connects in Costa Rica and the rest of the world.

Generally, you can rent a ICE cellular for $6 to $8 a day and with a weekly or monthly rental rate you could get a better deal.

Happy Dialing
    Bill Maes

maravilla

When I got my cell phone last month there were NO GSM lines, only TDMA. Don’t know if that’s changed in three weeks or not, but that was the status when I got my phone, and anyone who came in with a GSM had to get a TDMA phone to get a number.

wmaes47

Maravilla

That’s because they had run out of GSM lines and numbers. TDMA was the only thing left at that time you received your number. Eventually, in the future, everyone will be switched to the GSM network. As soon as ICE gets it together, and I don’t mean the lines.

I hope you are enjoying the fantastic solitude…
    Bill Maes

maravilla

Solitude? HA! I’m up here in the mountains, plotting my escape back to CR in January, and trying to get my fireplace mural done so we can install it when we’re there. When are you going back down?

wmaes47

My dream for solitude is January 2007… I am ready, already…

Did you get to meet the new neighbors, Patrick, Holly and the girls… The girls are so cute…

Maybe you will be there when I return. Need a housekeeper when you are not there… send me an e-mail.

Dream Away…
    Bill Maes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.