Salary increase?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Salary increase?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

The website for [url=http://www.ministrabajo.go.cr/]Labor laws & Salaries[/url] seems to be down..again. Anyone know what the increase is, this year?

[quote=”costaricafinca”]The website for [url=http://www.ministrabajo.go.cr/]Labor laws & Salaries[/url] seems to be down..again. Anyone know what the increase is, this year?[/quote]

Hi – I was just researching this for myself yesterday and found the following in the Tico Times archives:

Minimum Wage to Increase in January
    Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 – By Chrissie Long
    Costa Rica’s minimum wage will go up by 2.63 percent in January, affecting some 1.5 million workers in the private sector. It will be the second increase within a two-month period.

Costa Rica’s minimum wage will increase by 2.63 percent on Jan. 1, 2011, the Labor Ministry announced Thursday.

The increase is due to a rise in the country’s inflation rate, but has been kept low in order not to stimulate the loss of more jobs.

“The government has considered many factors: first, this number corresponds with the amount lost in purchasing power … second, it takes into consideration that we are in a very delicate time in which we have lost a great number of jobs – 7.8 percent or the equivalent of 166,000 people,” said Costa Rica’s Labor Minister Sandra Piszk in a statement.

Costa Rica’s minimum wage varies based on skill and education level, but for an unskilled worker it is set at ¢7,200 ($14) per day, which will increase to ¢7,390 (the equivalent of a ¢3,800 ($7.60) raise over a one-month period). The minimum wage was last raised by 3.41 percentin July, affecting some 1.5 million workers.

Hope this helps

costaricafinca
    Participant

Yes, I did find this. We decided on an higher increase, as usual. But thanks!

Doug Ward

I never have paid minimum anyhoo.(I never worked for min. /why the hell would I pay min ?) I seek the best guys/gals and negotiate. A few Tilapia per month or free access to pejibaye,eggs, chayote, cas, avocado, mango, and other things work wonders.
    Matter of fact I’m sitting here on one of my Tico buddies ‘puters that I just put a different video card in and loaded a dual boot Linux/Winbloze so his kid can be virus free on the net.
    He’s down the hill working on the tomato and pepper house right now.
    I’ll call today an even swap.
    7K colones for the video card and my drunken selfs labor.
    He’ll be tickled to death to have it safer and up and running.
    Pura Vida
    Tomorrow ? I need tomato seed. Anyone have some good ones ?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Both our full time workers get more than the base salary, but it was important to know the percentage…
    These guys get to take any of the many varieties fruit and veggies the farm produces, milk, eggs and chicken. One has had their daughter put through University and is now a nurse and the other has a daughter that is part way through, so neither are lacking. And computers were purchased for both students.
    Buy a tomato at the [i]feria[/i] and just squeeze the seeds in the soil. Can’t beat fresh seed.

Doug Ward

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Both our full time workers get more than the base salary, but it was important to know the percentage…
    These guys get to take any of the many varieties fruit and veggies the farm produces, milk, eggs and chicken. One has had their daughter put through University and is now a nurse and the other has a daughter that is part way through, so neither are lacking. And computers were purchased for both students.
    Buy a tomato at the [i]feria[/i] and just squeeze the seeds in the soil. Can’t beat fresh seed.[/quote]Agreed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.