Running Track?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Running Track?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mollyjim

We’ll be in the Central Valley the week after Thanksgiving (Jim, Molly, daugther Sarah, and maybe son Matt). It’s the maybe Matt that causes me to ask this question. He’s a national class 400 meter runner, and he’s hopeful of making the US team next summer. He says he can’t afford to miss a week of training. I know that last time I flew out of SJO I saw a track just a minute or two after taking off, but I have no clue where it might be. Does anyone know where a running track is located in the Central Valley? I’d like Matt to come, but he needs to continue his workouts if he does.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Pura vida,
    Jim P

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I don’t know about the track, Jim, but why can’t Matt just train on the roads? They’re all uphill, and after a week at 4,000 feet above sea level his cardiac conditioning should be somewhat improved, no?

mollyjim

David, that was my initial response, also. But apparently his coach has given him specific speed/interval workouts that requires a track to accomplish his training goals. That kind of workout requires being able to run very fast for 400 – 600 meters at a time. I think that speed is difficult to run when you are running on a relatively uneven road surface and needing to be on the lookout for cars!
    I’m the guy who’ll be walking (not running!)the roads looking for some cardiac benefits!
    Pura vida,
    Jim

GringoTico

There’s one in La Sabana park. It’s a big place, used to be the airport, and the track is on the south side towards the east corner of the park. There’s also a track in Zapote (on the east side of San Jose). If I remember right it’s called the Centro Deportivo Zapote.

mollyjim

GringoTico: Thanks very much! La Sabana sounds like the one I saw as my plane took off from SJO. It would likely be the one my son would use if he comes, since our home base will be in Grecia. It’s nice to have some options.

And it’s especially nice to find people willing to help!

Charlie

There is a track by the University of Costa Rica, it is about 2km east of the University. It is fenced , but I have walked in without a problem a couple of times. It is comparable to tracks in the US, material of track and running lanes / sections marked .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.