Round trip tickets for stays longer than 90 days

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Round trip tickets for stays longer than 90 days

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    editer

I’ve been flying back and forth from Chicago to Costa Rica for a while now. I remember several times I had to show my return flight reservation before I could get on the plane at the airport. The idea is that Immigracion wants to be sure that, if you’re a tourist, you are prepared to leave Costa Rica within the 90 day limit. The problem is that I am in the process of obtaining my pensionista status and generally stay beyond the 90 days, staying the three days in Panama. When I do this, the airline penalizes me for changing my flight plan, The penalty is so high that I pretty much write off the return fare and buy a one-way ticket back to the states.

I don’t recall if I’ve had to show a return flight the last few times I’ve flown down. Perhaps the information is already in the computer and I don’t need to show it, or perhaps this requirement has been dropped. What I’d like to know is, can I buy a round trip ticket for more than 90 days without running into a hangup at the airport? I would still head to Panama to maintain my tourist status. I’m hoping that my pensionista status is granted on my next stay in Perez and flying back and forth will become simpler.

lisle55

Hi. Before my residence was completed I used to run into this problem as well. What I used to do it purchase a fully refundable one way ticket to show them and just cancel it the next day. Also if you have a bus ticket showing that you are going to Panama that will work as well. You don’t have to go back to the USA you just have to leave Costa Rica. Hope that helps.

grb1063

That is a good option lisle55. Flying to Panama from CR is pretty cheap too. COPA Airlines is Panama based.

editer

Thanks to both of you. I’ll look into both options. Either one would make my life easier.

jamesgoshen4

My son had a round trip ticket that was 5 months between arrival & departure. I took him to Panama after 80 days. When we came back into Costa Rica immigration needed to see his flight information. I didn’t not have this info so I had to go into a store at the border that had Internet Access and obtain the required info from Continental.com. This was at the Sixaola border crossing.

editer

Did your son not need to show the return flight information when he boarded in the states? I know that I’ve had to show that information on earlier trips down to Costa Rica, but on more recent trips, I don’t recall anyone asking for it. That’s why I wondered if the data is in the computers. However if your son’s itinerary was for a 5 month stay, maybe I’m needlessly concerned. Perhaps there is an allowance for tourists to take excursions out of Costa Rica before returning to America. That would simplify things considerably for me. Thanks for your input.

enduro

editer

You mentioned that you have a pensionado application in process, once you receive the folio number, which means it is process at Migracion but not yet approved, then you no longer need to leave every 90 days. If anyone queries it in CR just show them the Folio number and they will be able to find it in the computer (or Call migracion) and they will leave you alone.

HTH

Brian

jamesgoshen4

I think your needlessly concerned. As long as you leave the country within 90 days you will be ok. Just remember to have the information that shows you will be leaving CR. If you don’t have this information than immigration will require that you purchase a bus ticket out of CR for a future trip. (This is what I was told). It is my understanding that if you stay in CR longer than 90 days, immigration will block any future trips to CR….but someone may no better

editer

Thanks Brian and James. You’ve eased my concerns.

Frank

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.