Ropa Americana

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Ropa Americana

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

There’s a small industry in Costa Rica reselling used American clothing. I suspect that people in the U.S. go into Goodwill or Salvation Army stores and buy up everything that’s worth selling and export it to Costa Rica for resale. This leads to some amusing sights on the streets.

Not only do you see ladies wearing “Sexy Girl” and “Buy Me Expensive Gifts” t-shirts, which are cute, but you’ll also see persons of both sexes wearing t-shirts that say “Olsen Family Reunion 2004” and “Southhampton Middle School Hockey Camp 2000″ when you know perfectly well that the wearer isn’t an Olsen and has never played hockey.

But today topped them all. At the weekend [i]feria [/i]in Grecia, we encountered a man in his mid-thirties who stands about 5’7” and weighs around 300 pounds. He’s wearing a t-shirt that reads, “Future Trophy Wife”.

maravilla

jejeje that was funny. but, there is a tico with the last name of olson — that would be pepe’s son.

i was told that RA goods are what can’t be sold in the States.

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]There’s a small industry in Costa Rica reselling used American clothing. I suspect that people in the U.S. go into Goodwill or Salvation Army stores and buy up everything that’s worth selling and export it to Costa Rica for resale. “.[/quote]

Why bother wasting money by buying at Goodwill and Salvation Army??? Just drive around to garage sales…and there’s TON’s of them these days…and you could probably buy a nice piece of clothing for 0.50 cents what Goodwill Or S.A. would charge lot of $$$ for.

maravilla

Ropa American isn’t cheap, compared to thrift store prices in my town in colorado where the super rich donate stuff that still has the price tags on it.

rosiemaji

It’s more like Goodwill and The Salvation Army are selling bags of clothing directly to RAs in Costa Rica. We have been at a RA and have seen the bags come in with a Goodwill sticker still on them. When these industries get an over abundance of clothing donations, they sell the excess. I have bought clothes at RA some with price tags still on them and they have all been good clothes – not necessarily something that wouldn’t sell in the US. There have also been some really wild funky items in the mix. Once I had all of my clothing stolen in a rental car break-in. Thank goodness for RA. The prices were amazingly low compared to anything new in the local stores. The Tico clothes are way over-priced, don’t hold up and they probably would not fit me anyway. Hey, a good T-shirt is still a good T-shirt even if it has something stupid or out of place on it. The Ticos probably don’t even know what they say and neither do their friends. Or may it is just a good way to keep that smile on gringo faces. If nothing else, the RA clothes make good sturdy clothes for working on the farm. Pura vida. The US has to have something to export to Costa Rica in exchange for all of those bananas and super sweet pineapples they are sending north. I can’t think of much else that they might want from the US that they can’t get cheaper from China. 🙄

costaricafinca
    Participant

I have bought some nice items from the RA stores, most with tags still attached. I have found it hard to purchase age appropriate clothing, in my required petite sizing, and do not want to be seen on [i]¡No Te Lo Pongas! [/i] 😆

maravilla

jejejeje — there is no such thing as age appropriate clothing in costa rica. i go into the high-end stores in san ramon trying to find something i wouldn’t feel foolish wearing and i usually go away empty-handed. i’m just not about to trot around half-clothed as some of the tica’s my age do. and nor will i wear those regulation tica polyester suits! i have snagged some nice pants at RA once in a while, but it still seems i am always wearing the same three outfits and resembling a bag lady!!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

What, maravilla, what??

Are you saying that there are none of the spray-on Spandex booths in all of San Ramon, or have you just not found one yet?

maravilla

i gave up spandex when Studio 54 closed!!!

sueandchris

OK, maybe I gave up spandex about six months later!

2bncr

Studio 54 closed? I must have a bad case of junglevision.

maravilla

you didn’t realize Studio 54 was over?? you HAVE been in the jungle too long. it’s been closed for 25+ years.

2bncr

So what am I supposed to do with all this disco regalia? Ropa Americana? Whoaest me….

maravilla

you can still wear it here. fashion is about 20 years behind the times anyway, and from what i’ve seen, almost anything goes!!!

costaricafinca
    Participant

I don’t agree with that fashion is 20 years behind, but we must remember that since the only accessory change from summer to winter here, seems to be the addition of a scarf….:D..to keep away the chill.
    But the women here, even if one did consider them [i]not fashionable[/i] still [i]look better[/i] than most woman from North America when ‘just grocery shopping’ and who are sloppily dressed either in their ‘pajamas bottoms’ or ‘over sized grungy looking sweats or t-shirts’…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.