Roofing with shingles?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Roofing with shingles?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ratus

Greetings all…we are looking at houses to buy in Playas del Coco. We have found one we really like, but are concerned about the roof material…it is shingled…they are very good quality, 3 tab , 30 year shingles, the same we use in Canada. But we are not used to seeing shingles used here, has anyone have any info or experience with shingles used instead of traditional tiles etc,?
    Thanks1

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Most of the “traditional tiles” you see here are actually stamped metal made to look like traditional terra cotta tiles, although some of those are used, too.

Typical 3-in-1 asphalt shingles are not commonly used in Costa Rica. They’re expensive, they require sturdier framing to support their weight, they require a solid wood underlayment, they are unfamiliar to most builders, and they’re not as durable as either terra cotta tiles or well maintained stamped metal roofing. Heat and sunlight degrade asphalt shingles and we have lots of both here.

They do muffle the noise of rain better than metal roofing, but that noise is easily overcome by roof insulstion which one would want anyway in either hot or cold areas.

In this environment, asphalt shingles would be low on my list of preferred roofing materials maybe just above thatch.

VictoriaLST

Agree with you on that one David. I can’t imagine using asphalt shingles here. Heavy rains in Georgia damaged our roofing, but the rain here?? Ewwwwwwww

Kwhite1

[quote=”ratus”]Greetings all…we are looking at houses to buy in Playas del Coco. We have found one we really like, but are concerned about the roof material…it is shingled…they are very good quality, 3 tab , 30 year shingles, the same we use in Canada. But we are not used to seeing shingles used here, has anyone have any info or experience with shingles used instead of traditional tiles etc,?
    Thanks1[/quote]

Unsolicited opinion from a general contractor in Fla, if you have another choice other than asphalt shingles, go with that one. Albeit the Fla sun is not that of Costa Rica, but comparable, asphalt will actually start to degrade in 10 years or less (even thought they rate them at 30 year), the replacement is prorated depending on how long the warranty is for, it’s a total scam.

I know nothing of the warranty backing in CR, but if you have a choice between metal, tile or asphalt, go with the 1st two.

ratus

[quote=”kwhite1″][quote=”ratus”]Greetings all…we are looking at houses to buy in Playas del Coco. We have found one we really like, but are concerned about the roof material…it is shingled…they are very good quality, 3 tab , 30 year shingles, the same we use in Canada. But we are not used to seeing shingles used here, has anyone have any info or experience with shingles used instead of traditional tiles etc,?
    Thanks1[/quote]

Unsolicited opinion from a general contractor in Fla, if you have another choice other than asphalt shingles, go with that one. Albeit the Fla sun is not that of Costa Rica, but comparable, asphalt will actually start to degrade in 10 years or less (even thought they rate them at 30 year), the replacement is prorated depending on how long the warranty is for, it’s a total scam.

I know nothing of the warranty backing in CR, but if you have a choice between metal, tile or asphalt, go with the 1st two.[/quote]

Thanks for the info:D…Im familiar with shingles back in Canada, and yes, they NEVER last as long as they say they will. What surprises me about this home is that owner is an engineer, and for the life of me I can’t figure out why he went with shingles. The rest of the home is built top end..no crap at all, imported marble , Spanish tile flooring, exceeds all seismic codes..just these damn shingle give me a concern. they look great, and are in good shape ( 7 years old) and the roof joists, are 24″ OC ( on center) so the roof is strong enough…just not familiar with shingles here……

Kwhite1

[quote=”ratus”][quote=”kwhite1″][quote=”ratus”]Greetings all…we are looking at houses to buy in Playas del Coco. We have found one we really like, but are concerned about the roof material…it is shingled…they are very good quality, 3 tab , 30 year shingles, the same we use in Canada. But we are not used to seeing shingles used here, has anyone have any info or experience with shingles used instead of traditional tiles etc,?
    Thanks1[/quote]

I know nothing of the warranty backing in CR, but if you have a choice between metal, tile or asphalt, go with the 1st two.[/quote]

Thanks for the info:D…Im familiar with shingles back in Canada, and yes, they NEVER last as long as they say they will. What surprises me about this home is that owner is an engineer, and for the life of me I can’t figure out why he went with shingles. The rest of the home is built top end..no crap at all, imported marble , Spanish tile flooring, exceeds all seismic codes..just these damn shingle give me a concern. they look great, and are in good shape ( 7 years old) and the roof joists, are 24″ OC ( on center) so the roof is strong enough…just not familiar with shingles here……[/quote]

Maybe some locals will have better advice, but if they look good, you can always change out (or just go over) with metal or tiles in a few years. Should not be too expensive, if you really like the rest of the house, don’t let that be a deal breaker.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Hmmm . . .

Before you put terra cotta tiles over this roof with its 24″OC framing, I’d have a structural engineer take a very careful look at it. Tiles weigh a great deal which, especially if the asphalt shingles are not stripped off first, could easily exceed the structure’s loadbearing capacity. A tile roof is not something you’d want to be trying to crawl out from under after a serious earthquake.

jmcbuilder
    Participant

David is right on the money. Asphalt shingle are heavy in their own right and to add a second roof over is a bad idea. The shingle may have good life in them but at some point will need replacement. Metal over shingles does seem to have some legs in the weight department.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.