Robbery at Gun point

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Robbery at Gun point

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    smekuly

well guys I guess it had to happen

after living my life as a somehwat baddass myself. it finally came to pass.

while in sabana park near the stadium. at was about 3pm when 2 guys dressed pretty good so they did not set off my internal sensors..

pulls out a gun and robs me. :evil::evil::evil::evil:

took my wallet and its not the cash but the hassle of replacing cedula, license etc..:evil::evil:

broad daylight

incredible!!! I was so disappointed that something like this happened.

folks

there is big trouble in paradise.

and there is no one to protect you except yourself.

the funny thing and I kid you not

it happend in a moment. but one of the first thoughts that came into my mind was an moving image of scott oliver

running towards me with statistics comparing crime here with the United Sates of america. :D:D:D:D

I have lived in NYC most of my life. in the bronx and brooklyn

and I can say this for a fact!!

[b]Crime here is worse!!
    [/b]
    why???

because its good business and they get away with it.

in fact I was thinking about starting a gang here.

it will be like that movie with burt lancaster and mike douglas.. crooks that rob the train :D:D

we can start a criminal organization of the old expats..

why not

if crime is going to just grow and become rampant then we might as well be on the winning side.

look at this article from todays am costa rica

can you imagine the huevos to do this.. this is called NO FEAR!

Moravia home invaders dressed as cops and simulated raid
    By the A.M. Costa Rica staff

Crooks in Moravia demonstrated a new technique to invade a home early Monday.

The gang showed up in four vehicles dressed as policemen, according to the Judicial Investigating Organization.

Other sources said they smashed into a garage door to gain entry in much the same way real Fuerza Pública officers do particularly when television cameras are turned on.

This happened at 4 a.m., a prime time for police raids. The location was a home in San Vicente de Moravia. At home were two adults and four children. They were threatened by the fake cops when they gained entry.

Taken were 1,700,000 colons in cash, jewelry and cell telephones, said the judicial police. That’s about
    $3,350.

Dressing like a policeman is standard fare for crooks. But the new twist in this case was the number of participants and the forced entry into a home. Judicial police said there were at least 10 crooks.

There have been many cases of crooks dressed as police officers stopping individuals on the street or highway.

maravilla

wow, that is a terrible thing that happened to you. were they young thugs, middle aged, what? the brazen home invasion is pretty mind-boggling. it still doesn’t make me want to move back to gringolandia!

smekuly

maravilla

these were mid 20’s early 30s.

well dressed meaning they looked better dressed than I.

and I have to share something. before in another life I led a street type of lifestyle and am very savvy. but I guess my ole danger alert sensor is getting old

or maybe i am just tired of always being on guard

just need to make people aware of certain truths. so they can have perspective instead of the just pura vida mentality.

but all in all it could have been worse

I could have been shot :shock::shock:

like al pacino in carlitos way..

maravilla

I’ve been in costa rica nearly 7 years. my house was burglarized once 3 years ago. i lived in Manhattan and New Jersey for 8 years. I was robbed once at gunpoint and had my house burglarized twice (even WITH bars on the windows!). so i’m still batting better here. I’ve been told that the park in San Ramon is a very very dangerous place not only at night, but in the daytime as well, but i still walk through there as i cut across town. it’s always teeming with police so i feel safe, but that is probably an illusion. glad you weren’t shot. i’m waiting for your Xmas party!!

smekuly

I have to agree with the averages

but my point and I have to say this.

my point and if you look at what is going on here. since crime is profitable and the laws do nothing.

it just makes sense to say that it will start to escalate and pick up with time.

anyway. i will not say anymore since i may be booted off the board for not aggreeing with the current mantra 😀

Andrew
    Keymaster

The image of me running towards you would have been quite accurate since I was in the very same park for an hour yesterday morning running although I wasn’t robbed.

It’s always more serious when it happens to us but whatever crime story we can think of here, we can point to similar events in many other countries…

Whether it’s crime in Central Park, NY rising 44%: [ http://awalkintheparknyc.blogspot.com/2011/02/central-park-crime-rose-44-in-2010.html ]

Or home invasions which “involved six armed men claiming to be police officers who burst into a home located in a subdivision of contemporary single houses in West Phoenix. ”

[ http://www.homeinvasionnews.com/phoenix-police-say-a-4-year-spike-in-home-invasions-is-drug-related/ ]

“For the third time in a week, city police are investigating a home invasion in which men identifying themselves as police rushed into a home and bound and robbed its occupants.”

[ http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2011/07/third_home_invasion_by_fake_po.html ]

Crime in San Jose is higher than practically everywhere else in Costa Rica and worse than in many U.S., cities and better than many others… And I agree that Costa Rica does need to improve their laws – especially for repeat offenders – but, I’m sorry you can not say in general terms for Costa Rica as a whole that “crime here is worse” because it’s simply not factual.

But seriously, I am sorry to hear you had an unfortunate experience smekuly and if it’s any consolation when we tried using your credit cards, they had already been cut-off!

Jee! Jee!

smekuly

scott

I new i saw you out of the corner of my eye. 😛

thanks for your help when I needed it the most

:shock::shock::shock:

One thing the military taught me was, things and people are not always as they appear. Having come to Costa Rica the last 14 years, and now living there part-time; I have been fortunate not to have been robbed or have my home broken into. Criminals size you up as a potential target, and expats are easy prey. I am always in combat mode and I always maintain the 1000 yard combat stare, thanks to PTSD; it also helps that I am still in excellent body building shape.

smekuly

diabled vet

you know your right.. I guess having a bodybuilding type of physique will discourage someone with a gun..:shock::shock::shock::shock:

costaricafinca
    Participant

Sorry that these criminals caught up with you.

kevin.smith

[quote=”Disabled Veteran”]One thing the military taught me was, things and people are not always as they appear. Having come to Costa Rica the last 14 years, and now living there part-time; I have been fortunate not to have been robbed or have my home broken into. Criminals size you up as a potential target, and expats are easy prey. I am always in combat mode and I always maintain the 1000 yard combat stare, thanks to PTSD; it also helps that I am still in excellent body building shape.[/quote]So there is an upside to PTSD,I like that analogy.Honestly.

sprite

San Jose…sheeesh!

sprite

[quote=”maravilla”] I’ve been told that the park in San Ramon is a very very dangerous place not only at night, but in the daytime as well, but i still walk through there as i cut across town. it’s always teeming with police so i feel safe, but that is probably an illusion. glad you weren’t shot. i’m waiting for your Xmas party!![/quote]

I heard the same thing about the park in San Ramon. But it looks so populated all the time I always feel safe there. I don’t get it.

I am a 61 year old anglo-american. Over the decades I have walked around in Spanish Harlem in New York in 1969 and even spent the night in Central Park. I walked the back streets of Havana at 2 in the morning in 1981 and most of the downtown streets of Miami and London. I have never even been approached by a prostitute let alone an assaulting thief. I am starting to believe in luck.

kevin,
    Unfortunately yes! I deep sea fish in Costa Rica, unfortunately, I have the same effect on fish! (smile)

orcas06

Scott…….. “mal de muchos, consuelo de tontos”

[quote=”Scott”]The image of me running towards you would have been quite accurate since I was in the very same park for an hour yesterday morning running although I wasn’t robbed.

It’s always more serious when it happens to us but whatever crime story we can think of here, we can point to similar events in many other countries…

Whether it’s crime in Central Park, NY rising 44%: [ http://awalkintheparknyc.blogspot.com/2011/02/central-park-crime-rose-44-in-2010.html ]

Or home invasions which “involved six armed men claiming to be police officers who burst into a home located in a subdivision of contemporary single houses in West Phoenix. ”

[ http://www.homeinvasionnews.com/phoenix-police-say-a-4-year-spike-in-home-invasions-is-drug-related/ ]

“For the third time in a week, city police are investigating a home invasion in which men identifying themselves as police rushed into a home and bound and robbed its occupants.”

[ http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2011/07/third_home_invasion_by_fake_po.html ]

Crime in San Jose is higher than practically everywhere else in Costa Rica and worse than in many U.S., cities and better than many others… And I agree that Costa Rica does need to improve their laws – especially for repeat offenders – but, I’m sorry you can not say in general terms for Costa Rica as a whole that “crime here is worse” because it’s simply not factual.

But seriously, I am sorry to hear you had an unfortunate experience smekuly and if it’s any consolation when we tried using your credit cards, they had already been cut-off!

Jee! Jee![/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.