Road from Quepos to Dominical

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Road from Quepos to Dominical

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    koty

Just had to comment after I read the article regarding the improved roads from Quepos to Dominical. This road is perhaps one of the worst in costa Rica, that is well traveled and I have seen, ( seen many an axel broken on it) made worse by the Palm oil plants that use the road with heavy machinery and oxen carts/tractors. I have heard that it is very unlikely that this road will ever be fixed/paved because there is a dispute between the palm oil plants and the government with the former refusing to pitch in any money and the government seeing them as the biggest users. We would love to see it fixed up. Any one heard anything different? I would hate for this issue to be viewed differently because someone is trying to sell real estate in the southern region. As far as that goes, I have heard similar debates regarding the fate of proposed airports and highways. All the people in the area say is “don’t hold your breath”. Any comments?

Koty

cindyc

Hi Koty,
    I have also been watching this closely and hope that this eventually happens as we bought some property along this stretch. One good sign is our neighbors just south of us just sold an easement across their property for the purpose of widening the road. I’m hoping that they wouldn’t be buying up property unless they really intended to do something. But you never know; I’m not holding my breath!

Ken

I drove that road a year or so ago, dry season, and although it was kind of rough, I didn’t find it terribly bad. At least compared to many in the northern mountains. I must admit I was more concered about all the trucks. I was always curious what they where farming. I thought maybe palm hearts for food or something. I never thought of palm oil.
    I must say, once you get to Dominical area, the roads looks all new. I was very surprised after such a long rough ride.

koty

Yeah we actually get off on avoiding potholes on regular costa rica roads. These roads,there is no avoiding the bumps/ We joke that it is either, go as fast as you can or take it slow and bumpy.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Scott is posting this in the right location for pweisel – Feb 25,2006 4:32 PM pweisel

Greetings,
    I have property near there and drive the road 1-2 times a year. Supposedly it’s been approved for paving, and I saw places last summer where they were grading to route it around villages instead of through them. However, the brutal rains last fall caused real damage right along there, so who knows how long the fix will really be. Don’t hold your breath. I find in the dry season the road to be fixed up, potholes filled, and can make the journey in just under an hour. Rainy season, it’s got pond sized potholes full of water – you never know how deep the puddles are and are forced to go slow – about 2 hours. I think the whole length of that road is only about 25 miles long.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.