Road Conditions from Jaco To LaFortuna

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Road Conditions from Jaco To LaFortuna

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    muncho

Headed back to CR and have rented a 7 person van (not 4×4) and I am concerned about the roads to LaFortuna from Jaco. I was told it should take 3 1/2 hrs. Are the directions difficult for a first time road trip in this area? Same concerns from Jaco to Quepos. I believe this trip to be easier. My wife and I assured our children (16-21 and friends) a safe trip due to our experience with the great people of CR. Looking forward to exploring with eyes wide open. Any advice appreciated.
    PS- View this site often and find it very interesting, informitive and sometimes amusing.

paumatom

By CR standards I would say the roads are fine. Here’s a site you might like to help you out.

http://www.yourtravelmap.com/costarica/travelmap/index.php?&width=1024

muncho

Thank You for your reply. The site was of some help. Can I expect the main route to be paved? What would max. speed be to navigate safely? Do you know if the storm affected this route. Any other information would help or anything of extreme importance I should know. Thank you in advance of your reply.

paumatom

I don’t live in CR so I can’t comment on the current road conditions. “Max speed to navigate safely” is a very relative term. According to my wife I continually violate spirit of that term so I would just say drive according to your comfort level. The routes you’re talking about are pretty major routes. All the tour companies out of San Jose use the route from San Ramon to get out to Arenal etc. so there should be a fair amount of traffic. I would plan an extra 1.5 hours so you can drive at a reasonable pace & not feel you have constantly pass every slow car/truck that you encounter. The only thing of extreme importance would be to not drive at night over roads you’ve never traveled before.

costaricafinca
    Participant

From Jaco to La Fortuna should be no problem, but from Jaco to Quepos could change in the ‘blink of an eye’.
    Be aware, you would be better to consider renting a 4×4.
    I would suggest, that even if you have driven the route before, is not drive at night, period! Too many families walk at the side of the road, in the dark with no flashlights or wearing dark clothing and cyclists seldom have lights reflectors either.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.