riding mower or at least self-propelled mower

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum riding mower or at least self-propelled mower

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    unacharmed

Any one know where we can buy any of the above? We have a house in Golfito on about an acre of land and have been to the Deposito, but no luck. We heard they might be available in San Jose. Anybody know of any big hardware stores (do they have a website, or is that pushing it)?

Thanks.

dkt2u

One shouldn’t be too hard to find either in San Jose or another larger town. The hardware store in Jaco “Lugar” has both a riding mower and self propelled mowers. I am not sure of the pricing.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

How about doing a Google search on the major American manufacturers (John Deere, Simplicity, etc) in Costa Rica?

And, there is a Lugar ferreteria in Santa Ana, too. Don’t know what mowers they have to offer.

Failing all of that, how about getting a goat?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Prefer the goat idea so that you can have some good cheese while you’re at it but doesn’t PriceSmart have these? (Not the goats…)

Scott

PS. I make a mean goat curry from the frozen goat they have in AutoMercado

GringoTico

I 2nd the goat. How long would a lawnmower last in the humid, salty air in Golfito?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks for bringing that up, it’s amazing how many people do not take this into consideration at the beach.

The wear and tear of the humidity and salt air at the beach on cars, stereos, your computer, refigerators and even electrical wiring can be significant.

Be prepared!

Scott Oliver

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I saw a self-propelled Toro mulching mower at EPA in Escazu yesterday. No sign of a rider, but I gotta believe somebody has one.

Hose off the mower and maybe wipe it down with WD-40 from time to time and it should last a very long time, even in coastal areas. We never had a problem on the Outer Banks of North Carolina where even plastic is said to rust.

sallymw

I am selling my belongings in CR and among them is a self-propelled 6 speed Snapper mower with a Subaru motor, minimally used. Price is $550.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

PriceSmart in Escazu had a 6.75hp, 21 inch-wide, self-propelled, variable-speed walk-behind mower today with a Briggs and Stratton engine. I think it was a Lawn Boy brand.

fijatevos

A good riding or self propelled mower is from MTD (Briggs and Stratton engines). This is the most popular brand and will be easy to find parts and get it repaired. The MTD Brand is OK, but you have to stick with the higher end products. I bought a 4 hp mower a few years ago at INTACO that was made in Hungary and that was very poor quality.

I have a 6 hp MTD Yard Machine self propelled. It is very powerful and the transmission is belt driven. There is a ferreteria Jimenez just east of the A y A building on Avenida 10. (maybe 2 blocks east) This place has all the parts you need and a wide variety of machines at local prices.

I have had good luck finding self propelled or riding mowers at the larger local hardware stores in different towns around San Jose. I imagine it is the same in the larger towns in rural areas like San Ramon, Esparza, Perez Zeledon. I would look for the largest hardware / store (deposito) in town and you can probably find one.

I also saw a MTD riding mower at EPA in Curridabat on Saturday and at Muñoz y Nanne in San Pedro. Both were about $1600.

saltwater

A couple of years ago a freind of mine was bragging how he would no longer be cutting grass, as he had bought 4 goats to keep his yard trimmed up. One thing about goats is they seek high ground, by nature. A week or so after his goat-investment, he noticed that the goats didnt “mow” his yard very level or get the areas along the fence like he thought they would; and they prefered to eat from his families garden versus the yard. But the really bad part, was when he came home and found 2 of the goats fighting over who was going to be “king of the hill” on the roof of his wifes new Volvo, which resulted in the destruction of the volvos glass sunroof and dents in the top surfaces of the car, which ultimately led to the untimely deaths of the 4 unassuming goats. LESSON- keep anything you dont want messed up FAR away from the goats- they need a pen or pasture of their own. But they do help keep snakes away, due to their scent.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I would LOVE to have seen a photograph of the two goats on the roof ‘saltwater’ – that would have been a classic

Scott Oliver
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.