Retiring in costa rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Retiring in costa rica

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Antonic

MY WIFE AND I PRESENTLY LIVING ON BRIBIE ISLAND AUSTRALIA WE ARE VISITING COSTA RICA FEBRUARY 8TH. SEARCHING FOR REAL ESTATE MY WIFE IS FROM OHIO AND I AM FROM CROATIA EUROPA CANT WAIT TO GET THERE.
    ANTONIC.

jenny

Make a stop in Grecia. The retired community here is just great. Wonderful group of people. The Costa Ricans are friendly in this area, in fact so friendly we decided to stay over 3 1/2 years ago. Of course we are partial to Grecia area.

Many people have come and some of the prices of real estate are high but there are still a lot of bargins. One womens opinion (smile)

jenny

Fran, that is some real good advice. You are right on about finding a real good lawyer. We have worked with the same lawyer for the time we have been here and we have gotten some very good legal advice, which save us a lot of heartache and trouble. Excellent advice Fran.

pmcdowell

Grecia not a place to move with kids then?

jenny

Why do you say that? Grecia is a lovely place for young families with children. Grecia is not and ideal place as far as I’m concerned for people that want an active social life and they are young. Of course I know a lot about that I turned 60 over here (smile). Of course I was 59 when I arrived.

My grandson went to school here for 4months so I have a little experience with young children here.

dkt2u

Hello Antonic, I am from Ohio as well. My wife and I moved from California in April of last year to Esterillos Oeste. Let me know if you are going to be on the Pacific side and I can point you in the right direction on some things to see. We love to have people stop in for a drink or a meal and share their travel stories.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I don’t honestly think that Grecia is a good place to move to with young American children. I don’t know of any good international schools there.

The American friends that I had that lived in Grecia put their two kids on the bus to go to school to San José, they spent ninety minutes on the bus each way – every day – That is NOT a good idea

If on the other hand, you’re happy having your children in an all Costa Rican school, I’m sure there will be some good ones around …

Scott

jenny

Scott is correct, they do not have an international school but they have some very good private schools here.

If the schooling is good quality schooling they can adjust. Children go to the US from a lot of countries and accommplish wonderfully. The problem here is not access to an International School, the problem is activities after school.

There are not a lot of activities here in Grecia. Most Costa Ricans in this area do not have the funds to allow their children to go bowling, matinees, roller skating, nor have I heard of many here taking many of the classes that children from the US take.

Scott, Activities are limited for adults in Grecia. You have to love what is here and adjust, but that is more difficult for children to do.

Andrew
    Keymaster

That may be the case Jenny but the ease of ‘adjustment’ will depend greatly on the age of the child and surely the Costa Rican school curriculum is VERY different from the US school curriculum?

And the calendar years is also completely different no?

Scott

jenny

I can only speak from my experience as a grandmother and mother. We checked the
    Science, math, geography, biology are the same. The level of these courses for my grandson were the same here as in the US. Plus he learned Spanish.

Are you saying that any person coming here to live with children, should only settle in areas that are accessible to International school.

Adjusting socially is more of a problem, dealing with customs and traditions.

I can not speak for any other country but we from the US get a little upset when foreigners come and do not assimulate. If people came to Nebraska from Costa Rica and only lived in the area where the school curiculum was as it is in Costa Rica, we would be offended.

suzecurley

i am curious about the weather in grecia, is it as hot as santa ana, or nice and cool like heredia? is the bus service frequent to san jose? is it true that the houses aren’t barred the way they are almost everywhere else in c.r.? thanks for your help–i am coming down in the summer to check out retirement options and grecia is one of the places i want to look at

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.