Retiree $$ Questions

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Retiree $$ Questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bogino
    Participant

I know that these are always subject to change but using today’s requirements:

1) I believe the minimum amount for pensionado status is $1,000 per month of steady income. What % of that amount does the CR government take from you.

2) I understand that joining CAJA is a requirement. What percentage of monthly income does CAJA take from you?

3) A pensionado with a “pre-existing” condition is shut out of the private insurance market and only has CAJA as an option. Correct?

Thank You.

Thx.

barbara ann

[quote=”bogino”]I know that these are always subject to change but using today’s requirements:

1) Q: I believe the minimum amount for pensionado status is $1,000 per month of steady income. What % of that amount does the CR government take from you.

A: [i]The CR government does not take a tax out of our SS. I am not sure if you make a separate income how that works.[/i]

2) Q: I understand that joining CAJA is a requirement. What percentage of monthly income does CAJA take from you?

A: [i]It depends on your income, ours is $92 a month for the two of us, our income is under $2000 a month,[/i]

3) Q: A pensionado with a “pre-existing” condition is shut out of the private insurance market and only has CAJA as an option. Correct?

A: [i]It depends on age and other things as well, you can use any private hospital out of pocket and it is less expensive than the states.

For instance, my husband was hospitalized with Dengue Fever for 3 days at Clinica Biblica, good hospital, we had to put I believe $3500 on our credit card as a deposit. Then If all is not used you get a refund of the difference.

We then have Humana Advantage in the states, sent in the form that was online..we were reimbursed for all of it except the medications because they were not American (go figure), His total bill for intensive care was $1500, two years ago. It took Humana about 4 months to reimburse.

I know of another retired woman that spent the night at Hospital CIMA, same thing, deposit, then her insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield supplement reimbursed her in about 4 or 5 months. If it is an emergency some insurances in the states will reimburse your out of pocket expense, So check on that.

We have pre existing and are over 65, age matters with INS, and have not even tried. I have been told that there are international insurances that you can find, never tried those either.[/i]

Thank You.

Thx.[/quote]

costaricafinca
    Participant

Pensionado status requires a ‘guaranteed for life’ pension or annuity, [u]not[/u] a ‘steady’ income.

Outlier Legal has [url=http://outlierlegal.wordpress.com/category/health-care/]offered this information[/url] noting that these price ‘quotes’ are for those over 55.

INS the private insurance provider here, may still cover you but not for your pre-existing conditions. You will not be covered by CAJA until you have your [i]cedula[/i].

The CAJA premiums have recently risen so you [u]may[/u] have to pay $100 or even more based on your pension amount but you won’t know for sure until CAJA tells you, [i]what they think you should pay.[/i] Plus, since it could be a year or two until one is covered, I expect the premiums will have risen by the time you meet with CAJA representatives … as they already risen twice this year.:cry:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.