Retired US teacher seeks opportunity to teach in CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Retired US teacher seeks opportunity to teach in CR

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dance2myHC

I’ve seen invitations to teach English in CR that seem to be selling their TESL certification course. Is there a more direct way to pursue that kind of work? I have US teaching credentials in music, reading and developing language, and elementary education. If I take an ESL certification course here in the US, will it be accepted in CR? I am working with Rosetta Stone to learn some Spanish. What government clearances would I need to work in CR? All guidance will be sincerely appreciated!

rosiemaji

What the TESL certification course promoters are not telling you is that you can not legally work in Costa Rica unless you are a legal resident (which could take about 5 years to get only if you have a guaranteed income such as a pension)or if you are the parent of a Costa Rican citizen. From your post it does not sound like you are either.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Expanding a little . . . Only legal [u]Permanent[/u] residents are allowed to work in Costa Rica in competition with Costa Rican citizens. And there are plenty of Costa Ricans who are qualified to teach English.

The road to Permanent residency requires submission of application documents, waiting for Immigration to act on that application, then spending three years in the status of legal [u]temporary[/u] resident (typically [i]pensionado[/i] or [i]rentista[/i]). Then, after those three years have elapsed, you may apply for Permanent residency which application can take another year. So five years without legal employment is what you’re likely to face. And then there’s the matter of employment being available to you.

You should also know that Costa Rican wages are ridiculously low and as a teacher of English you are unlikely to find actual full-time employment.

costaricafinca
    Participant

[i]If[/i][b][/b] you find a school willing to employ you, they …not you … must apply for a [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/can-i-legally-work-in-costa-rica.html]work permit,[/url] but you are required to have temporary resident status, but getting a work permit is fraught with problems and in the long run, is it financially worth it?

watchdog

[quote=”costaricafinca”][i]If[/i][b][/b] you find a school willing to employ you, they …not you … must apply for a [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/can-i-legally-work-in-costa-rica.html]work permit,[/url] but you are required to have temporary resident status, but getting a work permit is fraught with problems and in the long run, is it financially worth it?[/quote]
    This quote is incorrect to the extent that it is not necessary to have Temporary Residency status in order to obtain a Work Permit. The Work Permit would take the place of the Temporary Residency status, permitting you to remain in Costa Rica for the duration of the time that the Work Permit stipulated. The obtaining of any Work Permit is discretionary on the part of the Immigration Department to grant. Note from Scott: ‘Watchdog’ is the username for my friend and attorney Richard (Rick) Philps who is a Canadian citizen, naturalized as a citizen of Costa Rica. Rick practiced law in Canada as a member of the Law Society of British Columbia, for fourteen years, prior to moving to Costa Rica in 1998. Mr. Philps the earned his Bachelor of Laws and Licensing Degrees (Civil Law), and a Post-Graduate Degree in Notary and Registry Law, from the Metropolitana Castro Carazo and Escuela Libre de Derecho Universities, in San Jose, is a member of the Costa Rica College of Lawyers, and practices law in Costa Rica in the areas of real estate and development, corporate, commercial, contract, immigration, and banking with the Law Firm of Petersen & Philps.To speak with Attorney Rick Philps about hiring him as your Costa Rica Attorney, please contact him using the information below:Lic. Rick Philps – Attorney at Law, Petersen & Philps, San Jose, Costa Rica Tel: 506-2288-4381, Ext. 102; Email: : rphilps@plawcr.com Website: http://www.plawcr.com

costaricafinca
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.