Residential Building Codes in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Residential Building Codes in Costa Rica

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    m_gallavin

Hello,

Are there residential building codes in Costa Rica, specifically in the city of San Jose? And if so, where can I find this information, or obtain a copy?

Thank you for your time in replying to my post!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Since Costa Rica experiences regular earthquake tremors, the building codes are in fact very strict.

Do you read and speak Spanish fluently?

Scott

m_gallavin

Not fluently, but if I can get a copy of the codes, between me and my Spanish-speaking friends I can figure it out. What’s it called and where do I get it?

As far as seismic, so the codes regarding footings, foundations and structural are as strict as say, SoCal? And I read somewhere else that they have recently adopted U.S. NEC-type regulations as well. . . so maybe I should ask my question from another direction, are there code inspectors who visit work sites to ensure compliance? (. . . Judging from the quality of workmanship, observing the grading and footings work at a construction site on my way to work, and a couple guys doing electrical work in my apartment complex, it looks like maybe they have the laws on the books but no oversight.)

Also, what kind of construction projects require permits? Do they even have permits? And who pulls them with the municipality — the property owner, contractor? * * Most importantly, if you are the property owner, and you are doing the work yourself, do you need a permit to do your own work? * *

BTW, I’m not talking about building a $100k’s+ grino-esque home in the mountains over Escazu, but a small, sustainable living tree house for my fiancee and I in San Pedro. Literally, something very small on an tiny undeveloped parcel in town.

Thanks for the help:-)

Edited on Feb 23, 2006 09:14

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’ll see what I can do for you … What I have is not emailable.

Scott

Andrew
    Keymaster

You will find the laws of the Colegio Federado de Ingenieros y Arquitectos de Costa Rica at

I have just uploaded the Codigo Sismico de Costa Rica (1986) to the Download Library which you can find at

We are trying to find out if there’s a more up to date one for you.

If you want to search on the internet, you need to search for Codigo Sismico de Costa Rica

Scott – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

jimliesen122

You might also take a look at this

http://www.colegiotopografoscr.com/descargas.htm

That is way deep into the sites Scott suggests.

When you get there, look down the left column to LE-029.
    That’s one of the basic building codes. If you keep searching on the same page, you’ll find the elctrical, mechanical, and plumbing codes, and even the lists of plan requirements for your architect.

I have used the UBC and IBC for 20 years, so I share your desire to familiarize myself with the various codes and have found that they have (sometimes) more comon sense in them than the local BO where I live!

You’ll be able to interpret many of the codes even if your Espanol is a struggle, or at least know where to go find them.

I found the electrical codes interesting, for example. In it, they calculate the wattage requirements you wish to have and then that’s what you get from ICE – to me that’s exactly backwards. Where I come from we have to calculate what the buildings size will require, regardless of the actual real-life needs of the users, then buy the next size larger from the electric supplier. Good/bad? If you use the building differently or if your architect isn’t told by you what you want, you will be undersized – especially for your future expansion. (BTW, that strategy of expansion is the quickest way to get your plano approved – always start with “just a bodega,” then go back for “a little casa,” Never go in with a master plan and all the drawings for the whole enchilada or the approvals will take FOREVER. But when you get your infrastructure, get what you are going to need on the first go around.) But, on the otherhand, you only have to build what you need, as you are building.

The funniest thing about it to me is, that it doesn’t matter much when you see the connection of the service and meter to ICE in what resembles a birdhouse, or a direct splice along the highway into the overhead powerline. Especially in the rain!!! The sparks can be fun to watch!!!

m_gallavin

Thank you for the links and downloads – you saved me about a year of deciphering Spanish websites link by link on Altavista Babel Fish!

If I literally do as much of my own work as possible I’m wondering – are there actually site inspections for small-scale construction projects? Or do you get your permits for display, but then there’s really nobody coming to sign off on each phase of the trades?

Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.