Resident form

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Resident form

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I’m sorry for reposting this. However, since it wasn’t answered as had been a reply in another thread, I thought maybe it might have been overlooked. Can anyone answer this? Thank you!

————-
    Posted May 12,2006 11:36 AM MarilynSunshine
    From the given link: “Within the application process you will be required to provide the Department of Immigration with the following information:

…17. Physical Address in Costa Rica, 18. Telephone number in Costa Rica.”

I don’t understand how a person can file for residency until he/she already resides in the country and has a phone number unless there are people who will let theirs be used. Can anyone explain this?

Edited on Jun 05, 2006 08:33

maravilla

Most people who are going through the residency process DO know where they will be living so they will have an address for immigration. I think you have to apply while you are still in the States, but most people have made multiple trips to Costa Rica, secured living space, and then gone back to their home state and applied for residency before making the final move. In my case, I was building a house, so I had an address even though the house wasn’t yet completed. I am now a resident of Costa Rica, but I’m still in the States pending the sale of my house here.

Oh, dear…

I was planning on visiting a few times to be pretty sure of the area in which I wanted to live, going down and staying in a hotel for a short while until I could rent an apartment, and then living in it for a few months before buying. It looks as though I’m going to have to figure something else out! Thank you, Maravilla.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do without making too drastic a change in plans? I really want to go down there with the ability to enroll in caja medical and can’t do that without residency fully in the works.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

If you’re going to rent something for a few months, give Immigration that address. Not every aspiring resident has a telephone. If there’s someone else’s telephone number you can use, give them that. Just tell the party who owns the phone that you’re to be notified if you get any calls.

And even if you’re not going to rent a place just yet, find someone whose physical address you can use. Immigration won’t know the difference and won’t be hurt in the least.

This is what I was afraid I’d have to do, David. Thank you. I’ll use yours. :))) (just kidding) I guess I can use a hotel address (maybe I’ll have to find some type of weekly rental place until I find an apartment) and a temporary cell phone number perhaps? I’m sure there are plenty of people nowadays who use only cell phones. Or maybe there’s an answering service available that doesn’t require a physical phone?

My lawyer, Roberto Umana, uses his address and telephone number for my application and information.

Roberto Umana is also a good friend of George Lundquists. Scott also knows him. And now I am glad to say my friend.

Roberto is more than just a lawyer. Believe it or not, Roberto is a human being first, who happens to practice law.

I will be seeinghim end of June to to complete my pensionado status. His office is perfectly situated. His fees are ‘HONEST’ in other words reasonable.

Location: Across the street from Hotel Don Carlos, at Avenida 7 and Calle 9, just west of the Instituto National de Seguros, in the historical area known as Barrio Amón in San José.

Roberto’s office is just across the street.

Also near the Instituto National de Seguros, Ministry of Public Security, Minsisterio de Seguridad Publica, building, where the Department of Immigration, Direccion General de Migracion y Extrajeria and the National Immigration Council, Consejo Nacional de Migracion y Extranjeria resided. They reviewe residency and immigration petitions.

WOW life was so easy, when you threw an address on an envelope or gave directions before I discovred Cossta Rica. NOW I understand why life is so much slower in Costa Rica, and I would not change this one iota!!!!

SCOTT, Please insert contact info for Roberto, and the other lawyer who supports your web-site.

CONGRATS. Looking forward to reading the legal book when I am there, and leaving it for you to hold for me, since I have a hundred small reference books I am bringing down this trip. The really small ones. And over 100 + BIG heavy ones I have to get there when I move down. Phew!

Aside from recent posting about the shipper today, are their any other reasonable shipping options?

Chao Chao

Kenny. Looking forwrd to the Cuidad Colon article…. Hope Margie is doing it. I like her down home, down to earth, writing style.

Thank you very much, Curly! My first visit is going to be this August; I’ll be making plenty of appointments beforehand.

You said, “WOW life was so easy, when you threw an address on an envelope or gave directions before I discovred Cossta Rica. NOW I understand why life is so much slower in Costa Rica, and I would not change this one iota!!!!” I remember being taken from one home to another in Ashkelon, Israel, while trying to find a friend in the same type of case (1967). There were *almost* real addresses, but the house numbers were mixed up all over the place and there were no streets named — just the large section of the town. I understand that while Ticos are very friendly and helpful, they don’t invite you into their homes. This was completely different in Israel, a country that was in the same kind of growing situation then as Costa Rica is now. I think I’m not going to have the same kind of culture shock that those from New York might have. 🙂

gg

Marilyn, I am also using Roberto Umana. Here is some of the info:
    Roberto Umana
    Phone from the USA: 011 506 222 7825
    His email address is robumana@hotmail.com
    His office is just across from the Hotel Don Carlos in San Jose. I think I have a fax number if you need that as well.
    Good luck, I think he is very responsive and has truly tried to answer all my bizarre questions and has been very patient with me. Gee Gee

Patience and being a human being are definitely good things! Thank you very much for the contact info, Gee Gee. 🙂

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Marilyn, you’re welcome to use my address. I also have an unused telephone number, too. So you’re welcome to both and I’ll never know the difference.

That’s fantastic of you, David! Thank you so much. You have an unused telephone number? I understood that getting *any* phone number was almost impossible — or has that changed?

Hi Sunshine alias MarilynSunshine,

Speak or e-mail Roberto first before expending energy on activities that may distract you. Each persons journey on the way, to The Great Way is theirs and theirs alone.

In Costa Rica it is said, “Before you wake up in the morning, make sure you have a lawyer to deal with any paperwork. VERY LITTLE SUING in Costa Rica, lots of opportuntites to throw your life away on frivilous activities that cause your path, your flow to be diverted unnecessarily.

You are making a very smart move by doing your hoemework. Let nothing divert you from your goal, your focus and intent are best kept intact this way.

In any case it took me 5 weeks, from the day I got back home, to get my papers to Cost Rica, and receive a temporary pensionado number.

Now I am going to make my second trip June 26 to July 17 to get my fingerprints taken for their Interpol check, and attempted to break the passport photgraphers camera by getting 8 photoes (4 for Costa Rica government, 2 extras to have with me in case my passport is stolen and 2 extras to leave with Roberto in case everything gets stolen, if he will hold them on file for me) along with 5 copies of the main passport pages for reasons of backup. WHY?

When I was there in February, a very wealthy man LOST his glasses, and could not see. His buddies helped him around, but he had to get an eye examination, and glasses. THEREFORE days were spent in misery, unnecessarily.

A real estate woman, was having problems with her land purchase (same applies to leases/renting, buying a home, etceteras) you need someone you can trust for example Roberto is a lawyer and Notary BOTH are required specialties if you are a stranger is a strange land, planning to live there.

HIs wise ousel, has saved me much unnecesary expense. In a matter where he would have made money, and choose NOT to charge me. PINCH ME NOW! It is not a dream!

“Hey, watch where you pinch!”

This time I am also going down to explore the Central Valley and probably will setlle in the artsy area of Ciuddad Colon, or San Ramon, or Santa Ana, or where ever. Having fun exploring, playing, making friends and a fool of myself as I struggle to learn, mangle, mess up and become Spanish speaking.

I am planning another trip in October/Novmber between putting home up for sale, and the closing. I will be moving to a friends place for a few months as I tie up losta loose buisiness and life ends.

Leaving is such sweet sorrow, my soul will rejoice on the ‘morrow.

So SUNHSINE savor your journey. Everything will work out as it should. Over-thinking can suck the life out of you. (Read the bestselling book BLINK it is a tendency that some folks have, and it wastes their energy, very subtly detsroying the quality of their life.)

In any case if it is meant to be, I will let you treat this crazy fun-loving mysterious Canuck writer to a laugh or two over a coffee, with you and your partner, if and when we meet. AT YOUR EXPENSE OF COURSE. Like dah’!

Chao Chao – curlyonecurlytwo ’cause my hair is long and growing for Locks of Love, and this is true. Look that charity up on the web.

access gently with care if you dare….

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Marilyn, when telephone numbers are available, the wise consumer grabs all they’ll give you. Three were available when we began building our two houses and we grabbed ’em. Now, our neighbors-to-be are having some trouble getting any lines at all. We may transfer one of ours to them.

We also have a friend who lives several miles from us who’s been waiting a year for a line and had a promise of one ” . . . in December . . .” Problem was, ICE didn’t way which December.

How lovely, David. 🙁 One thing I’ll have to do is somehow get Internet capability before any hard commitments; I teach college online and need to be able to hook my own computer up to the Net. Great job — I can travel almost anywhere and can work at 3 am if I so desire.

linlsd1

Please give me his phone number. I need a lawyer for buying a house. Thanks, linda

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.