Residency vs Non Residency

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Residency vs Non Residency

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    costaricafinca
    Participant

2BNCR, it sounds to me that you are ‘in love’ with the idea of being a ‘Tico’. Have you actually lived in Costa Rica? I read on a previous posting of your about being delinquent on your property tax, so assume you have been here and have purchased land. So many posters on many different forums pertaining to Costa Rica, have visited but for a short time and feel they ‘know’ what it is like to really live here.
    But they don’t!
    And you will never be a ‘Tico’….although you can still be buried here.

2bncr

Costa Rica Finca, Funny you say I will never be Tico… my citizenship testing date is not that far off. So, I guess I have a pretty decent shot at it- si dios quiere. And I have been here well before Figueres.

How about you my friend, what makes you such an authority about my chances of citizenship and Costa Rica? And are you Costarricense? Are you related to Don Pepe, do you know where Juan Santamaria was born? Can you recite the National Anthem? Do you own land here, or are you one of those that just frequents the fourms… If you are Costarricense, you sound a little ethnocentric.

Or maybe you don’t like Ticos??? Had some bad experiences??? Or just want to get in the conversation without really having anything to add, pero su dos pesos like other gringos often do. Lora vieja no aprende a hablar… Bueno.

sprite

I am an Anglo America and have been immersed in latin culture for 40 years. My ex wife is Cuban. My current wife of 26 years is Puerto Rican. L have lived in Miami for the last 26 years, the most latinized city in the States without a doubt. I have spoken fluent spanish for 35 years and have no Anglo american friends left, only Cubans, Puerto Ricans and Ticos. And I am still NOT a latin. I will always be an Anglo American. I don’t believe any adult can completely erase his original culture. It is imprinted permanently upon us. We can add to it, but never replace it. I appreciate so much about Costa Rican culture and I take in as much as I can assimilate. But it will always only be an addition, never a replacement.

2bncr

Sprite,

I am not talking blood transfusions and tatoos here. Will my skin deepen in color and will I develop a new memory? No. All I am saying is that to fit in you do as they do. Not as an outsider does. If you consider yourself an outsider, subconsciously you will always act like one. I was not born here, but it feels like home to me. People don’t treat me like a gringo for the most part, especially when I click of a few dichos and understand the humor. I’ve paid my dues, but I’ve recived much more than what i have paid for.

This place is a cultural bargain. So why screw it up by acting like a letter of the law card carring Gringo. That’s the anthisis of a Tico.

Now Arias is trying to make the Ticos obey the strict letter of the traffic laws! Wonder where he got that idea. What next. stopping at stop signs? Lets see what kind of effect the Ley de Trnasito has. This will be very telling. If they prosecute police for asking for chorizo, I hope they all quit!

sprite

Couldn’t it be that Costa Rica is maturing a bit? The biggest problem I have with conservatives is their reluctance to move forward. Not all change is progressive and positive, but I don’t think dragging feet is the best way to deal with inevitable change.

Take the best of the Tico culture to heart, not the worst. Bribery and avoidance of civic responsibilties and disrespect for good laws, if a significant part of Tico culture, should NOT be embraced. I am still not convinced those things are a part of Tico culture.

costaricafinca
    Participant

2bncr, I have lived here for nearly nine years and probably have a lot more land here than you do. But, I for one, do not jump to conclusions about people.
    But although are obviously an ‘old timer’ you will never have the good manners of a ‘real Tico’.
    We live in a rural area surrounded by locals. I speak Spanish, and yes, I do know the National anthem, and can even sing it, all by myself!

Edited on Dec 08, 2008 13:46

2bncr

Igualmente regarding the manners thing. But you sure do jump to conclusuions regarding the land thing and my chances of citizenship. And since I am a person (the singular of people), well that kind of speaks for itself. Regarding who has more land, well you might, and then again you might not… Regardless I am happy to read that you can sing the CR natioanl athem all by yourself. That-a-boy!

costaricafinca
    Participant

I never mentioned anything regarding to your quote ‘my chances of citizenship’.
    Again you are being presumptive and jump to conclusions, as I am female.

blackjackds

Ok I have been reading this page for a while and I am still unclear. If the new immigration law does get passed, so worst case scenario, what does that mean for becomeing a costa rican citizen? How much would that cost or what is so bad about this bill?

maravilla

If you’ve been reading this page for a while then surely you’ve figured out that you first must become a temporary resident before you can become a permanent resident before you can become a citizen. The entire process takes at least 7 years, and you must first meet the financial constraints of the residency program before you even have a shot at becoming a citizen. Citizenship isn’t about what it costs. It’s about how much you know about CR culture, it’s history, how fluent you are in the language, etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.