Residency via marriage question

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Residency via marriage question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Charlie

Does anyone have any knowledge on this scenario : If a person applied for residency with immigration through marriage / children born to a Costa Rican national , does that person still have to leave the country every 3 months while waiting for the residency to be approved ? I was told by immigration at the airport , yes , but have had other sources say no , not necessary to leave .

watchdog

Technically, you would still have to leave Costa Rica every three months, for seventy-two hours and then renew your tourist visa for another three months on re-entry to Costa Rica, until your Residency status was granted. The practise, practically speaking, is to carry a copy of the Immigration file number for your Residency Application, issued on Immigration Department letterhead (Comprobante Requisitos), at the time of the filing of the Application, along with carrying your Passport copy. This acts as sufficient proof for the Authorities (Police/Immigration), for you not to have to leave the Country every three months during the period of waiting for your Residency to be granted (Approx. 8-10 months).

Note from Scott: ‘WatchDog’ is the username for my friend and attorney Richard (Rick) Philps who is a Canadian citizen, naturalized as a citizen of Costa Rica. Rick practiced law in Canada as a member of the Law Society of British Columbia, for fourteen years, prior to moving to Costa Rica in 1998. Mr. Philps the earned his Bachelor of Laws and Licensing Degrees (Civil Law), and a Post-Graduate Degree in Notary and Registry Law, from the Escuela Libre de Derecho University, in San Jose, is a member of the Costa Rica College of Lawyers, and has practiced law in Costa Rica for five years. Mr. Philps practices law in the areas of real estate and development, corporate, commercial, contract, immigration, and banking. To contact attorney Rick Philps and his associate attorney Roger Petersen, please use the Contact Form at the bottom of: https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/417.cfm

Charlie

Ok, thanks . I do carry those documents you stated while I am driving , just wanted to be sure.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.