Residency Requirements

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Residency Requirements

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I understand the needed documents and I have them. What do I have to do to get them “certified in U.S. (Secretary of State) Who would I go to to certify my documents? and be ready to take to CR?

VictoriaLST

[quote=”lisamarie6987″]I understand the needed documents and I have them. What do I have to do to get them “certified in U.S. (Secretary of State) Who would I go to to certify my documents? and be ready to take to CR?[/quote]

If you haven’t moved to CR yet, you take the documents to the CR consulate nearest you to get them certified. This is the apostille (ok I can’t spell) process and is in accordance with an international treaty. We didn’t do this before we left the States and have had to spend time and over $1400. to get the documents certified through visalady.com. What a mess.

gomiqueen2

Hi lisamarie – probably somewhere in these forums this has been answered but since I just finished doing this myself 2 months ago – i’ll save you the effort of looking and send you a pm (private message) that will come to your email – just open it and see what I did – was quick, cheap and doable. CR as of Dec 2011 under the Hague Convention now come under the agreement as put out by the Dept of State

Hague Convention Site
    Apostille Requirements

Since October 15, 1981, the United States has been part of the 1961 Hague Convention abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents (Only). The Convention provides for the simplified certification of public (including notarized) documents to be used in countries that have joined the convention. Documents destined for use in participating countries and their territories should be certified by one of the officials in the jurisdiction in which the document has been executed. Said official must have been designated as competent to issue certifications by “Apostille” (usually in the office of the State Secretary of State of his/her counterpart) as provided for by the 1961 Hague Convention.

With this certification by the Hague Convention Apostille, the document is entitled to recognition in the country of intended use, and no certification by the U.S. Department of State, Authentications Office or legalization by the embassy or consulate is required.

Documents requiring certifications with an apostille by the U.S. Department of State are those that have been signed by a federal official with the official Seal of that agency, American Consular Officer, Military Notary (10 USC 1044a) or Foreign Consul (Diplomat Officials must be registered with the Office of Protocol). Note: These documents must include the official’s title and his/her signature must be legible. Please also note that the U.S. Department of State will not issue an apostille for State-issued documents.

For more information on countries participating in the 1961 Hague Convention (abolishing the requirement of legalization for foreign public documents — Article 12) please visit http://www.hcch.net.

The key to the quick turn around by the Sec of States is to send your own self-addressed stamped envelope as they return them immediately. I used UPS 🙂 hope it helps – Pj

watchdog

[quote=”VictoriaLST”][quote=”lisamarie6987″]I understand the needed documents and I have them. What do I have to do to get them “certified in U.S. (Secretary of State) Who would I go to to certify my documents? and be ready to take to CR?[/quote]

If you haven’t moved to CR yet, you take the documents to the CR consulate nearest you to get them certified. This is the apostille (ok I can’t spell) process and is in accordance with an international treaty. We didn’t do this before we left the States and have had to spend time and over $1400. to get the documents certified through visalady.com. What a mess.[/quote]
    The Apostille certification that is required for the documentation is obtained at the Office of the Secretary of State for the State issuing the documentation, not the nearest CR Consulate.

VictoriaLST

Yup, what Queen and Dog said

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.