Residency Renewal

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Residency Renewal

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    costaricabill
    Participant

Before posting, I did a search on this forum for “residency renewal” and the most recent discussion thread was late in 2011, so I am confident that things have changed since then.
    Our first renewal (Pensionado) comes up in November, so I figured I can never stary too early gathering the information I will need to help me through the process.
    I would like to hear from others who have recently (3-6 months) completed their FIRST RENEWAL, and what the process was (is).

>> How early can you start the process?
    >> What is considered “last minute” for filing application?
    >> How long does the process take?
    >> What documentation is required for application for renewal?
    >> Is it still possible to do at certain BCR offices?

I have kept and have available a big stack of “cambio receipts” demonstrating that I have exceeded the necessary exchanges, so that’s not a worry.

Any other information or advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    crb

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”costaricabill”]Before posting, I did a search on this forum for “residency renewal” and the most recent discussion thread was late in 2011, so I am confident that things have changed since then.
    Our first renewal (Pensionado) comes up in November, so I figured I can never stary too early gathering the information I will need to help me through the process.
    I would like to hear from others who have recently (3-6 months) completed their FIRST RENEWAL, and what the process was (is).

>> How early can you start the process?
    >> What is considered “last minute” for filing application?
    >> How long does the process take?
    >> What documentation is required for application for renewal?
    >> Is it still possible to do at certain BCR offices?

I have kept and have available a big stack of “cambio receipts” demonstrating that I have exceeded the necessary exchanges, so that’s not a worry.

Any other information or advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    crb[/quote]

[b]”Like, come on you guys” [/b] (that’s for you California & Rocky Mountain folks)
    [b]”How ‘boot some help, eh?”[/b] (that’s for you Canadians)
    [b]”Yo, give me da’ word!”[/b] (Chicago and NY peeps only!)
    [b]”OK, here’s the BS”[/b] from my southern buds.

Honestly, I really don’t care where the advice comes from but surely, someone has had this experience recently. I’m not asking for the “definitive word”, just please let me know what your experience or problems were and any advice you can offer!

After all, this request is for the kind of thing this blog is designed for….. advice!!

Again, thanks in advance for any word or help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Now you did ask for ONLY recent renewals….:roll:

If your Residency was approved under the old rules, you are still required to produce your ‘cambio receipts’ [i]however[/i] if it was under the new rules they are not required…but take them anyway 🙄
    You need to provide proof of your pension (recent SS letter from the Embassy) and you must make an appointment to get this, copies of your present [i]cedula[/i], recent CAJA receipts and utility bill is required.
    You can make an appointment a month in advance at BCR or immigration [i]if you prefer.[/i] although you may be offered an appointment for the same week as you apply

bobr
    Participant

We have renewed our cedulas 2 times, it the same procedure.
    Go to BCR , in Samara, there will be a person dedicated to Cedula renewal. They will give you a piece of paper that List what you should bring with you. You should wait till 4-5 weeks before your cedula expires to make an appointment.
    The first item you will do is call the 900# for an appointment (900 0034639). This is a toll call, so make sure your phone can make such a call. This call will be a minimum c3400.
    You will bring a photocopy of the following:
    1) Caja receipt, most recent.
    2) Carnet
    3) Cedula
    4) Proof of exchange of dollars to colones.
    They will record the last 6 months currency exchange totals. We listed, by month, the total exchanged, which made it Easy for her. You pay in colones, approx. c65,000. They will send your new cedula to the Post Office in Samara. It takes about 10-14 days.
    Bob – San Ramon

costaricabill
    Participant

Great info, thanks so much to both of you!

costaricabill
    Participant

OK, we went to the BCR in Nicoya during the 1st week of October with all of the info. Everything went fine, no problems. Paid the money, got the receipts and a document stating that our new cedulas would be mailed to the Samara Corrreo on/about 4-november. This document also has a tracking number on it, an “EX” number, and 2 phone numbers, one for Correo and one for Migracion.

Uh, it is now 13-december and no sign of the cedulas.

I call the Correo number and give them the EX tracking number, they check their computer and tell me they have not received anything from Migracion – very efficient.

I call the number for Migracion (over and over), put in the extension for questions about cedulas, and get the recorded message that says “this extension is not accepting messages at this moment”.

Any ideas?

costaricafinca
    Participant

CRB, I would suggest you go to [i]migración[/i] in person, this week [u]before[/u] everything closes for the holidays…:roll:

orcas0606
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]CRB, I would suggest you go to [i]migracion[/i] in person, this week [u]before[/u] everything closes for the holidays…:roll:[/quote]

Truer words were never spoken………..migración may have a problem with your paperwork or everything has been lost or misplaced. Some things in Costa Rica can only be straightened out in person (sometimes)

costaricabill
    Participant

Well, we finally got our new cedulas. What started out as a simple process turned into a an experience even more frustrating than getting approved for residency to begin with.

As my earlier post indicated, the first meeting for renewal took place on 2-oct at BCR in Nicoya. I took all of the documentation that was on the list – but the demon turned out to be a document that wasn’t even on the list! First, credit where credit is due – there was an article here on WLCR by and about the services of Laura Gutierrez. I had already been through 3 other “professionals” that said they could help before I read about and contacted Laura.

My wife and I drove to Nicoya to meet with her on Tuesday 17-mar and gave her copies of all of my documents. She went to Migration in Uruca on that Thursday, went through our files and told me that the renewal had been held up because Migration wanted a newly dated social security benefits letter. I told her I could get that on line. She then called Migration in Liberia and made an appointment for us on the following Monday, 23-march.

We went and instead of taking only the social security letter, I took every document I had presented in the 2-october meeting at BCR and provided to Laura in our 17-march meeting. I’m glad I did, because they made copies of everything and built a new file that will reside in Liberia. Laura had everything set up, but the guy we were supposed to meet with didn’t show up for work that day, so we were very fortunate to be handed off to a very nice young man named Eric who speaks english.

After 3 hours, including a break for lunch, we found ourselves getting our new pictures made along with fingerprints. Eric told us to call Thursday afternoon to make sure the cedulas were ready, and if so we could come back to Liberia on Friday,or have them mailed to Samara. We called on Thursday, the new cedulas were there and we opted to drive back on Friday morning and pick them up. We returned to Liberia on Friday morning, waited less than 10 minutes and the long ordeal was over.

So, all credit to Laura! She is very efficient and professional, and residency is all she does – and she obviously does it well. After almost 6 months of frustration and getting the runaround, we had our new cedulas in hand 10 days after our initial meeting with her!!!

If you are starting the residency process or, like us, at a standstill in the renewal process, [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/5-Reasons-Why-Laura-Gutierrez-Will-Get-Your-Costa-Rica-Residency-Approved-Quicker-And-More-Efficiently-Than-Any-Attorney.cfm]I recommend that you contact her.[/url]

pebo1

Seems like many people have varied experiences as the govt rules often are interpreted differently in some offices.

Can you tell us what Laura charges for her services?

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”pebo1″]Seems like many people have varied experiences as the govt rules often are interpreted differently in some offices.

Can you tell us what Laura charges for her services?[/quote]

Because she was successful in getting my problem resolved, I felt that her fees were very reasonable. She charged us a minimal amount because she felt that the problem was easily resolvable, and it turned out to be just that – – – easily resolvable for someone who new who to talk to and how to get the problem fixed!
    I would suggest that you contact her directly and discuss what you need her to do and get a fee quote directly from her.
    Best of luck!

Km1204

Hello
    In July our temporary residency expired after three years.
    Is it possible to apply for a permanent residency with out lawyer help.
    What needs to be done?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.