Residency qualifications for an american with tico girlfriend and child

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Residency qualifications for an american with tico girlfriend and child

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    chuckrobin

I have a friend who has a tico girl friend who has had his child and he is wanting to know what does he have to do to qualify for temporary or permanent residency. Does it differ than others since his child was born here?

bogino
    Participant

Well…I think one qualification will be to understand Costa Rican laws as they relate to “joint property”…”child support”…”spousal and/or girlfriend support”…etc.

Obviously being [b]cynical[/b] here but only because of the countless stories I’ve read about Costa Rican women hoodwinking naive Gringo’s and walking away with their fortunes.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Doesn’t he have to marry her and then apply for residency based on his marriage to a Costa Rican?

Or was that the last thing on his mind after bringing a new life into the world?

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]If his name is on the birth certificate[/b], he can apply for permanent residency, and hopefully he is supporting both the child and the mother.
    Because if he doesn’t, he will be arrested.

Versatile

You guys are pretty rough. No wonder chuckrobin never replied back.

maravilla

i just read all the replies and i don’t see where anyone was being rough — they were just pointing out the facts — his name has to be one the birth certificate and he has to support the child or he’ll be arrested, and yes, there are lots of incidents were young Ticas have babies by a gringo because it’s a nice retirement plan. reality is harsh sometimes. did he have the kid so he could get residency that he wouldn’t be qualified for without the child? that’s the anchor baby route. lots of people do that too.

Versatile

Guess i was wrong huh!

chuckrobin

He didn’t have the baby for the reason of residency, I was asking to find out exactly what he needed to do for residency.If it was any different than the normal procedure since there is a child involved. By the way, He does support her and their child in everyway for those of you that want to put more into the question for more than what it was meant for.

maravilla

he should contact an immigration lawyer. not being married to the mother may have an impact, or not, on how he goes about applying. since most of us did the straight-ahead residency route without a complicated situation, it’s unlikely that any of us would know exactly what he has to do, although there are probably some steps that are similar and some docs that are required in ALL cases.

orcas0606
    Participant

[quote=”Versatile”]Guess i was wrong huh![/quote]

“there are lots of incidents were young Ticas have babies by a gringo because it’s a nice retirement plan. reality is harsh sometimes. did he have the kid so he could get residency that he wouldn’t be qualified for without the child? that’s the anchor baby route. lots of people do that too”

I suggest that he have a DNA sample taken and some tests run. Ya can never tell who might be in the woodpile!!!!
    SM

ticorealtor

The laws have changed in the last couple of years regarding marriage with a Tica. I don’t know if it will have the same impact if his child is a tico. In my case since my wife is Tica and my daughter has been nationalized. It made it much easier to become a resident. We have been married ten years and were married here in CR so all of the paper work is at the NR.
    Today if you get married you have to prove with pictures and you have a three year waiting period. I am sure that he will need to have a DNA to prove that it is his child since he is not married to the mother. This will prove that he is indeed the father and will help his case.

paulcrowley

[quote=”ticorealtor”]The laws have changed in the last couple of years regarding marriage with a Tica. I don’t know if it will have the same impact if his child is a tico. In my case since my wife is Tica and my daughter has been nationalized. It made it much easier to become a resident. We have been married ten years and were married here in CR so all of the paper work is at the NR.
    Today if you get married you have to prove with pictures and you have a three year waiting period. I am sure that he will need to have a DNA to prove that it is his child since he is not married to the mother. This will prove that he is indeed the father and will help his case.[/quote]

Since I am not an immigration lawyer in Costa Rica, I will not pretend to know the answer to this question.

However, I recently met an American couple at CIMA hospital who had just had a child there. They told me: (1) the child is automatically a Costa Rica citizen by birth (not just a resident); (2) that they, the child’s parents as listed on the birth certificate, and all the child’s siblings also have a right to apply for Costa Rica citizenship (not merely residency) which is typically approved within 6 to 12 months; and (3) that they must have a DNA test only to obtain USA citizenship for their child born in Costa Rica.

It should not be difficult to find out what Costa Rica immigration law applies.

costaricafinca
    Participant

As I understand, and think you are partially correct, parents and siblings under the age of 25, are [b]not[/b] automatically ‘citizens’, only the child born here. They can apply after an extended period with Permanent residency, I think after 7 years.
    If one is married to a Costa Rican citizen, then you can apply after 2 years.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.