Residency countdown

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Residency countdown

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

1. At what specific point does the 6 months/year requirement begin? Is it when provisional permanent residency is granted? When full permanent residency is granted? When fingerprints are taken? Etc.?

2. What specific number of days is 6 months?

Thank you in advance.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Marilyn, if you’re asking about the requirement to actually be physically present in Costa Rica to maintain your residency status, the answer is that the requirement is four months per year, not six. And that time does not have to be a single, continuous period.

Wasn’t this just changed to 6 months, Dave? Also, when does this count begin and how is this counted (30 days per month or what)? I know that a temporary card is issued before all of the paperwork has been processed. Is it at this time or after the final card is given?

Great question! Keep me posted.

maravilla

I was told that the clock starts ticking when your residency application is approved, not before, not when you prints are taken, not when you submit your application. Mine was approved in May but my appointment at immigration to pick up my cedula is not until January 24, but the clock is ticking on my 4 months to log in Costa Rica. Marilyn, I hope you are working with someone to help you get residency because it seems that you are really flying blind here.

Thank you, Maravilla. I’m working with someone, but I also know that there are many possible answers to the same questions and that people often get different ones from three different lawyers and the consulate. I’m the type of person who likes to get all answers I possibly can from all available sources before doing anything. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.