Residency Completion

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Residency Completion

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lafayetterev

For the past 6 mos. we have been trying to get our residency completed in the States. After many delays and setbacks, we finally completed everything and the counsulate sent it to C.R. at which point we contacted an attorney. Who informed us that it had to be done all over. The cost would be $1300+ and would take about 6 mos. of his work. Our question is, should we come and do the rest of the leg work with a Spanish speaking helper or is this a true account of how long it should take and how much it should cost. Itching to get there! Also planning a 30 day trip mid-November to end of December, can you help with possibe rental information.

kimyoa650

Hi,

I’m just wondering if you were trying to get the residency by doing everything yourself?

From what I have read from this forum, using a people that do this full time seems like the best option. It just seem like its not worth saving the $1300-$1500 by doing everything yourself.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Having an in-country attorney who does residency work for a living is a great advantage. Not only do they know all the ins and outs of the system but they know the players. Sometimes, they can grease skids that a layperson wouldn’t know even exist.

Our application, filed by a knowledgeable Costa Rican attorney, took about six months from the time he submitted all the documents and cost about what you’ve been quoted. Be sure, however, to get a statement of what the “+” in “$1,300+” means. There are significant government fees and a “security deposit” which you must pay or post and which will add to the cost. I hate surprises.

One of the required steps in applying for residency is to be fingerprinted and to have those prints run through Interpol. It’s my understanding that the fingerprinting can only be done in person here in Costa Rica, so I’m a little confused about how you might have done everything and had it ready to go without having done that step. There is also an application form/affidavit which you must sign in the presence of a Notary (Costa Rican, I’m pretty sure).

You should also be aware that Immigration here is in a terrible bureaucratic snarl. Things are taking longer than before and longer than they should. The good news is that, once you have filed a proper application for residency and it has been accepted for processing, the requirement that those traveling on a tourist visa leave Costa Rica for three days every ninety days no longer applies.

If you want a referral to a Costa Rican attorney who has done excellent work for us and several friends, e-mail me at daveandmarcia@racsa.co.cr.

Edited on Oct 21, 2006 05:47

Charlie

I am in process of completing my residency too. Originally when I started , I had an attorney quote me $5000 and within 2 weeks I would have a “cedula”. He was bold enought to tell me how he gets more from Asians and Columbians ! I wanted to do things legally so I went to the CR consulate , they gave me the list of items to complete and I did it all myself. However, I know friends in CR and it they were necessary to help me find my way to an official transaltor and accompany me to get fingerprints taken, show me where the “registro” and the “casa amarilla” is. Now , I have had documents lost at the ” registro ” after turning them in and had them re-done, it has taken much more than 6 months , but I’m not in a hurry either. If I used an attorney, maybe it would be done sooner , who knows, documents could still get lost and misplaced whoever does them. But my point is unless you have contacts already in CR who are willing to help you , it would be worth paying the $1300 for the whole service. Why not ask what has been completed already, maybe half the work is done and the attorney would charge a little less.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.