Replacing a Ceramic tile Floor

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Replacing a Ceramic tile Floor

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

All good recommendations and thoughts. In conclusion, it’s wise to appropriate as much money as necessary to receive the best floor covering available for your dwelling. Keep in mind that the floor of your choza is very important, as you need to walk upon it and see it everyday. In the long run, you’ll get what you paid for, so unless you’re blind, spend whatever it takes to realize the best quality and most attractive floor available.

Plastina

Is anyone doing polished concrete here in CR? We will be building in the next year and I wonder how the cost might compare to laying a floor with quality tile.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I can’t answer the question about polished concrete, but I can tell you that very good quality tile can be had for around $1.00US per square foot. The cost of tile in the U.S. is very high; here, it’s a commodity and prices are much lower, so cost alone should not be an obstacle. Polishing your concrete will cost, too.

guru

Besides color and general finish, tiles come in some wonderful textures. There are many with organic patterns such as shallow leaf textures and such that are an interesting design and reduce slipperiness.

I noticed a lot of tile in CR is imported from Spain.

Besides the standard tiling I like many of the relatively gaudy patterns used in Mexico but are also seen in Spain. You do not see it much in CR but it gives a very colorful Hispanic touch. These include diagonal checker patterns on stair risers and trim or covering of various surfaces such as columns or archways with bright patterns.

Colored borders and trim lines cost very little to add and are a distinctive touch. Grout can also be many colors from white, to cream, or red and even black. Unless the tiles is brilliant white a cream color is better than white as it does not show dirt or stain as easily as white.

Tile trim can also be applied to block walls that are going to be parged with concrete. The tile would be installed first and the surrounding area parged level to the tiles.

Tile can also be used for mosaics, particularly on masonry walls and it is not hard to do. You also see tile on tables and other surfaces. If you do not want a permanent wall mosaic they can be done on framed plywood and hung. Wall mosaics can give your home a very “Old World” or Mediterranean touch.

You start by collecting as many colors of tile as you can. Leftovers or broken boxes from the tile stores are the best source. I’ve even collected sample cards that had unusual colors. Draw your design on the clean prepared surface, break the tiles to fit, glue the tiles on with mastic or liquid nails then grout when finished. Its a colorful durable art.

I do not recommend this type mosaic for floors. The broken edges of tiles can be very sharp and be a hazard if walked on barefoot. The small varied pieces often do not sit perfectly level adding to the problem. If used on floors you need to carefully dress the edges of each broken piece. This adds a lot of labor to the project.

Tile as art work can be either high art or folk art.

Besides hand made mosaics there are now companies that water jet cut artistic pieces in multiple colors at reasonable cost. However, I so not know a source for this in CR. You might have to import such work.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Trying to find a competent trades person to do the polishing may be difficult…since they probably don’t have the tools. While there are many excellent people around who do regular work on floors all the time, very inexpensively.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Good point, Suzie, laying tile is a commonly-found skill in Costa Rica. The rank-and-file construction workers who build you house can all do it.

(4/36)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.